Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Why do cartoon characters see stars when they get hit over the head?

Why do cartoon characters see stars when they get hit over the head?

Posted - June 3, 2018

Responses

It their own fault really for letting themselves get Drawn into fights and as thats Norma Lea ( normally ) with other famous cartoon Charatures ,it's only normal that they see Stars to.....  :)) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at June 3, 2019 7:07 PM MDT
      June 3, 2018 3:28 AM MDT

?
      June 3, 2018 3:30 AM MDT

It the cartoonist that draws the Stars....the cartoons aren't really real :(
      June 3, 2018 5:59 AM MDT

When we hit our head that is what we often see. I can remember falling many years ago and I experienced briefly the stars at the second of concussion. 
      June 3, 2018 6:38 AM MDT

Made mostly of water, the vitreous fluid gives the eye its shape. ... This change sometimes causes the vitreous to pull on the retina. If the force of the pulling becomes strong enough, the vitreous may actually separate from the retina. When this occurs, we see flashes of light or stars.
      June 3, 2018 6:48 AM MDT

There are many things in cartoons that defy physics and ones notions of common sense. Here are a few classic examples:

'Donnell's examples include:

Any body suspended in space will remain in space until made aware of its situation. Then the regular laws of gravity take over. This is why babies can defy gravity for elongated amounts of time. (The character walks off the edge of a cliff, remains suspended in midair, and doesn't fall until he looks down.) If this is referenced by a character in the cartoon as "Defying the law of gravity", it is often explained that the character(s) involved have "never studied law".
    Any body passing through solid matter (usually at high velocities) will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter (the "silhouette of passage").
    Certain bodies can pass through solid walls painted to resemble tunnel entrances; others cannot. Corollary: Portable holes work.
    All principles of gravity are negated by fear (i.e., scaring someone causes him to jump impossibly high in the air).
    Any violent rearrangement of feline matter is impermanent. (In other words, cats heal fast and/or have an infinite number of lives.) Corollary: Cats can fit into unusually small spaces.
    Everything falls faster than an anvil. (A falling anvil will always land directly upon the character's head, regardless of the time gap between the body's and the anvil's respective drops.)
    Any vehicle on a path of travel is at a state of indeterminacy until an object enters a location in the path of travel. (Wolf looks both ways down the road, sees nothing, but gets run over by a bus as soon as he tries to cross.)
    Anyone who was frozen is still alive after being thawed out.
      June 3, 2018 6:59 AM MDT

• Dude.  This is why we love you.  Absurdly informative and funny.
      September 13, 2019 9:35 AM MDT

Actually, you DO really see stars if you are hit in the face hard enough.......when I was about 9, I sassed my uncle and he gave me a huge smack to my face,,,,,and it hurt!! of course, and I DID SEE STARS.......that's amazed me ever since...........so it's actually based on fact!!
      September 13, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

Did you give your uncle a return smack when you got older? Cheers and happy Friday the 13th~
      September 13, 2019 10:19 AM MDT