Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is the law always right, true and good?

Is the law always right, true and good?

I was thinking about this this morning....  In an ideal world it would be, and it does try to be.. but there are so many loopholes, so many times complete toerags get let off because they are rich enough to be able to afford the best lawyers... On the flip-side sometimes people who are innocent fall foul of the law.. 

The saying at times like these is, and I am NOT swearing ... is, 'the law is an ass' 

Posted - June 16, 2018

Responses

The law is the law.  It has no definition of right, true or good.  It often is in conflict with our own morals and ethics.
      June 16, 2018 11:15 AM MDT

Thank you; I stand corrected. 
    ~
      June 17, 2018 12:08 AM MDT

Did you see my explanation?  It's gone now but I think you deleted yours which deleted my response.  So.  OK.  :)

June 17, 2018 12:11 AM MDT

Yes, I read your explanation. 
      ~
      June 17, 2018 12:15 AM MDT

Right, true and good for those they were written for and often the opposite for those they were not. Written laws have seldom been inclusive without further laws making them so. This post was edited by O-uknow at June 16, 2018 3:01 PM MDT
      June 16, 2018 2:59 PM MDT

Be serious.

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

"Delivered unto me," get it? Satan is the god of earthly authority.
      June 16, 2018 4:44 PM MDT

So you are saying that the power to make the law comes from god and that man has abused it?  Erm.... ok....... 
      June 17, 2018 2:07 AM MDT

Erm, I am not sure what you are saying, but it certainly is not what I said.

When the Israelites came into the promised land, God commanded no central government and no laws outside the walled cities. The Israelites prospered until they decided they wanted a king and laws outside the walled cities. Then they got conquered and enslaved. This post was edited by Not Sure at June 17, 2018 2:41 PM MDT
      June 17, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

• No.
    One only has to go back to Magna Carta to see how necessary the capacity to change the law is.

It is the means by which we slowly evolve towards greater social justice, animal rights and environmental protection.
    It is how we block loopholes, and eventually arrive at strategies to protect against abuses of new technology.

Perfection is an impossible ideal, nothing more than an illusory abstract concept.
    Ideals of perfection are as slippery as graphite or oil because they continually change as values and standards change.

Perfection is probably only possible in things like maths and logic.
      June 16, 2018 7:06 PM MDT

I absolutely agree :) 
      June 17, 2018 2:09 AM MDT