Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What makes YOU feel empowered?

What makes YOU feel empowered?

Posted - June 26, 2018

Responses

When I accomplish a personal goal.
      June 26, 2018 2:23 PM MDT

What gives you the confidence to accomplish those goals?
      June 26, 2018 2:28 PM MDT

I would drive myself crazier than I already am if I don't. :D!
    Setting realistic, yet challenging goals for yourself helps to grow and continue moving forward in your life.  Being stagnant has never been something I like or am good at.  This doesn't mean geographically, per say, it does mean always having new and exciting things to do.  I have to keep my mind and body busy.  It's how I tick. :) :)
    As far as courage, I'm not sure if I can peg it down to just one thing.  Maybe because when I was growing up my parents and grammie told me I could do and be anything I wanted.  That I had the ability to do ANYTHING!  The world is a great place with tons of things to do and see.  Go and Do Them!!  Explore! Create! 
    That may have helped me believe and have the courage to do some of the things I have chosen. :) :)

June 27, 2018 9:07 AM MDT

I do feel like forming a good habit of keeping busy and avoiding being stagnant really does a lot for people.
    I think those habits combined with the positive reinforcement that you received from your parents could lead to great self confidence and accomplishments.
    My dad was similar, always moving, always working.
    It could be a key to self empowerment and success.
    Thanks for Sharing. This post was edited by Summer at June 27, 2018 9:37 AM MDT
      June 27, 2018 9:36 AM MDT

Facing my fears and/ or accomplishing goals. 

As you may recall, I started dance because it freaked me out. I didn't have confidence at all. I just did it.

One of the exercises they had us do involved everyone gathering around in a circle. One person would go to the center while everyone around them looked them up and down. I was mortified. I stood in the center and slowly turned around while making eye contact with each person as I went. I did that because I was uncomfortable, but that's what I do when I'm uncomfortable. I face it. 

Interestingly, when I finished, the studio owner complemented my confidence. She assumed I must have felt been totally confident because I took the time to connect with each person. Nope. But, apparently the fact that I made eye contact despite being mortified made it look like I was confident, and perhaps I was by the time I finished the circle. In other words, I faked it until I was ok with it. In the end, I was empowered. 
      June 26, 2018 5:21 PM MDT

So you're an actress and that is the source of your empowerment?
    I just want to know what it is that some people have up their sleeves that gives them confidence?
    Their Ace in the hole.
    They feel powerful as if they don't need anyone's approval.
    They can accomplish anything.
    Does that come from an inner strength instilled in them by their family?
    Is it because they already have money in the bank?
    Do they feel empowered around the opposite sex because they are so attractive that they feel zero desperation or intimidation?
    Do they excel at things because they really don't care if they fail?

I know, it's kind of a tricky question.
    I just want to know what various people perceive as their secret to success in whatever they feel successful at.

I'm all about learning how to be more empowered in life.

This post was edited by Summer at June 27, 2018 12:20 PM MDT
      June 26, 2018 6:52 PM MDT

"Fake it 'til you make it." https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/what-mentally-strong-people-dont-do/201606/when-fake-it-till-you-make-it-and-when-you-shouldnt  

I was behaving the way I wanted to feel, not acting. 

I've been interviewing a lot of entrepreneurs lately for articles I've been writing. They're a different breed. They think differently than others do. The successful ones are not afraid of failure. They see it as part of the process. The reality is we're all going to fail at things repeatedly. It's what we take away from the experience and what we do after that matters. 
      June 27, 2018 12:39 PM MDT

What makes me feel empowered is that I am debt free and financially as secure as possible.  I have reached the point where I have options as to what I want to do - I can continue to work part-time or I can retire completely.  
      June 26, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

Same here.  
      June 26, 2018 8:23 PM MDT

Love hearing that. :)
      June 26, 2018 9:26 PM MDT

I had my mother's work ethic and sense of finances.  No matter how broke I was, I put money away.  I never lived beyond my means...ever.  I never will.  I finally feel like I can breathe financially.  Of course nothing is guaranteed, but I don't worry like I used to.
      June 26, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

That is empowering to have control of your finances.
    It's one less thing to worry about and you don't have to kiss up to other people for things.

I'm definitely working on that as well.
    I'm not in debt, but living check to check isn't always fun either.
    A good work ethic is a great quality as well.

thanks for sharing.
      June 27, 2018 12:28 AM MDT

In my youth, there were times when I overspent, but when I got myself out of debt, I knew I would never do that again.  I've earned a good salary all my working years, so it's been relatively easy to liv within my means as I'm not very materialistic or high maintenance.

June 27, 2018 8:23 AM MDT

Excellent for you, too!
    :)
      June 26, 2018 11:23 PM MDT

That is great Spunky!  No doubt you worked hard for it all.  
      June 26, 2018 9:37 PM MDT

It didn't happen overnight, that's for sure. :)
      June 27, 2018 8:21 AM MDT

Excellent for you!
      June 26, 2018 11:22 PM MDT

Thank you.  It takes discipline, but it's worth it in the end. :)
      June 27, 2018 8:20 AM MDT

Whenever I handle a tough situation with poise and class.  
      June 26, 2018 8:24 PM MDT

Good-natured laughter

~ that type of laughter, for me, empowers

(I'm failing to find better explanation and words.) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 27, 2018 12:19 AM MDT
      June 26, 2018 11:21 PM MDT

That's great.
    I've heard that laughter can be very empowering.
    I remember when they had that devastating hurricane in the Philippines a while back.
    I was watching a story about it and they were talking about the poverty there and how difficult it is to rebuild and they discussed how sometimes the people use laughter as a way to lift their spirits.
    It keeps them together, it keeps them going at times.
    It's important and maybe it is empowering.
    Thanks.

June 27, 2018 12:39 AM MDT

You're welcome, Summer. That's interesting about the victims of the hurricane.

When the laughter is good-natured and fun for all, the result seems to me is "Hey, it's all good here! All is well!" And that is empowering for me -- we're all doing something beneficial for each other.
    That's a bit more of what I was trying to say with my original answer that I lacked finding when I posted.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 27, 2018 9:40 PM MDT
      June 27, 2018 2:23 PM MDT

not much lately
      June 28, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

You mean besides men being interested in me?  Really just my daily accomplishments and knowing I am making life better for others than just myself. 
      July 1, 2018 7:08 AM MDT