god
Lenina
bookworm
jml2000
easyjolene
iamlonelyallthetime
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Given the podium to speak to a watching world, what message would you choose to deliver?

Given the podium to speak to a watching world, what message would you choose to deliver?

Posted - June 30, 2018

• 3235
    So you’d cite scripture in front of the viewing world as your message? 
    Anything in particular you’d favor imparting to the billions watching? 
      July 1, 2018 12:31 PM MDT
    1

• 5557
    I had a think about this... a serious one... and hopefully you will approve.. Your question was indeed a very thought provoking one and indeed those are the best kind. I know I replied with an off the top of my head reply.. why? well because that's easier and quicker.. and arguably we often do just do that, lazy and with least effort.. 

But I thought about it on a wider level... maybe there's more to it.. maybe there is more to it than that.. I mean if there is a pattern we can look at that...  and here's what I think.... 

I think people are reluctant to give a speech that aims to try to change the world, make it a better place, to tell some home truths that need telling...  I really do think that .. and i think it's not that we think those things aren't worth saying, or that we don't think them.. I mean trust me I could deliver a massive speech about why Trump is bad for America and indeed the world... but we know that people don't want to listen, they don't want to hear even... and we would be wasting our breath... Maybe, just maybe the best we could get away with, with people's awfully low attention span these days, IS just a wise-crack or a snippet of wisdom? 

In writing this I was reminded of London's Speakers Corner.. a place where anyone can go and spout their *wisdom* for anyone who cares to listen.... I think most are not really listened to.. 

So there you go, there are my thoughts, such as they are. Thank you for making us think and if you can bear to, please do keep trying to make us think; like the speeches that people may not listen to - it's still worth doing because some will listen :)
      July 2, 2018 1:45 AM MDT
    1

• 3235
    I appreciate your more considered response, ADDB. Thanks for taking the time. There’s a lot to agree with there, particularly the bit about Trump (but we’ll stay out of Rosie’s lane, eh?). 

I’d suggest that beyond the points you mention about averting the extra effort to think, I‘d say there may be a fear of what could be uncovered by doing so. That deep down, there is more consensus or less real understanding than previously imagined. This is the crux of my intent here, to spur discussion on a more meaningful level than memes and small talk. There is too much of that in the guise of adult discourse already, IMO. 

I admit disappointment at the general response thus far, and I’m on the fence about pursuing this any further. But it occurs to me if even one person hears a message, that’s one more than knew of it yesterday, revolutions arise this way. 
      July 2, 2018 2:41 PM MDT
    1

• 5557
    Keep asking the questions.. more appreciate it than you think. 
      July 14, 2018 4:40 AM MDT
    1

• 9799
    Get it together and begin cleaning the oceans of plastic and human Rubbish ,chemicals and waste .....Every single person has a responsibility to clean his own mess up ,nomatter how wealthy they are.....

Its  never going to happen and only the young will bare the blunt of their fathers selfish mentality....:( 
      July 2, 2018 2:50 PM MDT
    2

• 3235
    Can I get a hallelujah in here....
      July 3, 2018 12:41 PM MDT
    1

• 9799
    Is that a good or bad one...! :(
      July 3, 2018 12:48 PM MDT
    1

• 3235
    Good, all good
      July 3, 2018 4:13 PM MDT
    1

• 9799
    Then Hallelujah II ....  :)
      July 3, 2018 4:59 PM MDT
    0

• 1328
    My message would be that Jehovah's day of vengeance against all evildoers, corruption, and wickedness is imminent. The liberation of all suffering is near. His kingdom  is about to intervene on behalf of all those that seek his righteousness. 
      July 13, 2018 11:17 PM MDT
    0