Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Given the podium to speak to a watching world, what message would you choose to deliver?

Given the podium to speak to a watching world, what message would you choose to deliver?

Posted - June 30, 2018

Responses

Hide your tildes from the grammar police. 

~
      June 30, 2018 7:24 AM MDT

You’ll have them switching back to their soap operas in no time. 
      June 30, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

Wow, this is an interesting question.

I guess I would tell the world basically that they're a bunch of a__holes.
    I would tell them all to cut their guns up and I would tell people in middle eastern countries to be better to women and people in western countries to stop being so spoiled, shallow and materialistic.
    I'd tell people that plastic surgery doesn't look good unless it's to correct a deformity of some kind.
    I would tell people in the US and Canada to stop circumcising babies unless there's an actual medical reason for it.
    I would tell people to stop hunting for sport because it's cruel.
    You should only hunt if you're starving and you should be respectful to the animal and the life that you're taking.
    I would tell people to stop watching so many movies and TV shows.
    They're bullsh_t and they warp our perception of relationships and they make us delusional.
    I would warn kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
    I would tell people that it's good to have choice when it comes to abortion and there are possibly reasons to do it.
    However, it shouldn't be used just because a person partied too hard or forgot to take birth control or just doesn't feel like having a baby in my opinion.
    I'm not talking about rape or medical complications.
    I'm just talking about people being irresponsible and thinking "Oh, I guess I'll just get an abortion."
    If you choose to have sex, then you can love and raise the baby in my opinion or at least put it up for adoption
    I would probably warn the world about the dangers of Trump and Kim Jong Un, Putin etc.
    I'm sure I would piss off a few people, but you only get one chance to speak to the planet so I would keep talking until they stop me.

Thanks.

June 30, 2018 10:05 AM MDT

Thanks a bunch for your well-thought response. I hope it starts a trend, but considering this crowd...
      June 30, 2018 10:53 AM MDT

What a well-thought out response.  A much needed reminder that it's much better for everyone to try and get along than to continuously be at each others' throats.  
      June 30, 2018 11:58 AM MDT

I love this kind of question.. but always feel I can't come up with anything that seems worthy on the spur of the moment.. 

Here's my offering off the top of my head

"Value yourself, but don't take yourself seriously"
      June 30, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

I like this one. It presents a case for personal perspective, too rare a commodity. 
      July 1, 2018 6:51 AM MDT

Be Well
      June 30, 2018 7:35 PM MDT

Nice sentiment, but with the world watching, that’s it?
    Ok. 
      June 30, 2018 9:11 PM MDT

Lately, the world to me is just a lot of individuals who may need to just settle down. A list of my demands and wishes is just one more person telling everyone else what to do. Let's all be still a bit.
    :)
    It's where I am now, at least.
      July 1, 2018 5:03 AM MDT

Agreed. Peace has to start one person at a time, paid forward, and cultivated.
    My gratititude for your indulging my question. 

My hope was some would use their “big moment” to express a larger message, something they hold in their hearts to the rest of humanity. In the final take here though, Welby, maybe it’s symptomatic that people are generally too reticent or apathetic to make a difference, to coherently convey what they really feel out loud, or abdicate such an opportunity because they simply fear potential criticism. The world is full of small people willing to swallow whatever falls to them and pursue little else. 
    Perhaps this is why things are the way they are. 

My own message would include points like this. 

July 1, 2018 6:48 AM MDT

And I am grateful to you, too, Don Barzini.
    :)Your thoughts are good stuff to me, definitely.

And perhaps it's too similar to my posted answer but I might add this to my message to the world. Though I fail often in this, it's a goal always for me.

Image result for the golden rule This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 1, 2018 10:50 AM MDT
      July 1, 2018 10:38 AM MDT

Yes.
    A reciprocal version of that is “we reap what we sow”.

Ergo:
    How can help or guidance or concern for our interests occur, if no one is aware that it is desired or available.

Sowing apathy and indifference reaps more of the same.   
      July 1, 2018 10:59 AM MDT

True!

You've got me thinking really deeply now!
    Cool!

July 1, 2018 11:04 AM MDT

I have a bomb.
      June 30, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

Is this really the attention you’d want? Depending on where it’s done, people get their past and their relatives dragged out into the police blotter for saying things like this. 
      July 1, 2018 6:57 AM MDT

Some people choose to respond with humor and/or sarcasm. Is that not acceptable to you, Don?

~
      July 1, 2018 10:58 AM MDT

Is that not how you perceived my response, Randy? 

I posed a more or less serious question to provoke a thoughtful discussion, in retrospect it seems wasted on most of this crowd. Maybe I should sink to idle blather about tildes or wearing trash bags. 

There’s some sarcasm for ya. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 2, 2018 1:35 AM MDT
      July 1, 2018 11:04 AM MDT

Did you expect to only receive serious answers?  It seems to me you've chided some peolle people who responded otherwise. 

I'm not suggested that you're either right or wrong on how you've rebutted, I merely asked you in order to understand your perspective. 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at July 2, 2018 6:07 AM MDT
      July 1, 2018 11:20 AM MDT

Randy, I expected a range of responses, and felt I responded in kind to each, though I can accept that some things can be lost in print. So be it. 

There appears to be a general reluctance (dare I say inability?) here to engage thoughtfully (except in a couple of obvious cases) beyond a snippet, a meme or wiseacre remark, and while that’s fine, it is rather on the cheap side.

Perhaps I am mistaken in seeking to challenge people to truly think beyond that. 
      July 1, 2018 12:28 PM MDT

I don't think you're mistaken at all.  As I stated before, my perception was that you took people to task for wisecracking with you in their answers. Far from being tolerant of the range of answers, that seems to be the exact opposite. It's important to note that I'm only conveying my opinion, and I believe you have the right to express that you dislike what someone has written.
      Not everyone logs onto AnswerMug for the same reasons. Lighthearted banter might be all that certain folks want to engage in, regardless of the level of seriousness of the given topic. Others are serious sometimes and joke around sometimes.  There might be instances where a serious-minded person responds with a quip, but it's not his or her usual tact. Who knows? (Shrug.)
    ~
      July 2, 2018 5:45 AM MDT

Pretty much the best things I have learned are found in The Bible - what is often termed fundamental Christianity. 
      July 1, 2018 11:43 AM MDT

So you’d cite scripture in front of the viewing world as your message? 
    Anything in particular you’d favor imparting to the billions watching? 
      July 1, 2018 12:31 PM MDT

I had a think about this... a serious one... and hopefully you will approve.. Your question was indeed a very thought provoking one and indeed those are the best kind. I know I replied with an off the top of my head reply.. why? well because that's easier and quicker.. and arguably we often do just do that, lazy and with least effort.. 

But I thought about it on a wider level... maybe there's more to it.. maybe there is more to it than that.. I mean if there is a pattern we can look at that...  and here's what I think.... 

I think people are reluctant to give a speech that aims to try to change the world, make it a better place, to tell some home truths that need telling...  I really do think that .. and i think it's not that we think those things aren't worth saying, or that we don't think them.. I mean trust me I could deliver a massive speech about why Trump is bad for America and indeed the world... but we know that people don't want to listen, they don't want to hear even... and we would be wasting our breath... Maybe, just maybe the best we could get away with, with people's awfully low attention span these days, IS just a wise-crack or a snippet of wisdom? 

In writing this I was reminded of London's Speakers Corner.. a place where anyone can go and spout their *wisdom* for anyone who cares to listen.... I think most are not really listened to.. 

So there you go, there are my thoughts, such as they are. Thank you for making us think and if you can bear to, please do keep trying to make us think; like the speeches that people may not listen to - it's still worth doing because some will listen :)
      July 2, 2018 1:45 AM MDT