Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » Has your name ever appeared in the local newspaper at any time in your life? If so (especially if it was something positive), when? ~

Has your name ever appeared in the local newspaper at any time in your life? If so (especially if it was something positive), when? ~

Posted - June 30, 2018

Responses

In my obit.
      June 30, 2018 11:33 AM MDT

I often write letters to the editor of the New York Daily News and quite a few of them have been published.
      June 30, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

I've had my name in this hick paper numerous times .... 

- For participating in a local parade (I was almost on TV then too, but they cut it off after the person ahead of me)
    - When I was 'Newspaper carrier of the month' (complete with picture)
    - When I was runner up for 'Newspaper carrier of the month' (many times) 
    - When I graduated from junior high school and then again when I graduated from high school
    - For every 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbon (per category) I won at the county fair (I've won hundreds of ribbons over the years).
    - In my dad's obituary (as a survivor)

June 30, 2018 12:05 PM MDT

I wrote an opinion in the San Francisco Chronicle a long time ago so yes, my name did get published.
      June 30, 2018 3:08 PM MDT

Yea a few times..  I was semi-famous in my very, very small pond here as a local amateur conservationist. I was called upon for consults. I was also a Pond warden and ran a few activity/clean up days.. I was also the vice-chair of a local action group and I served as a Parish Councillor.. 
      June 30, 2018 4:08 PM MDT

Last time a few years ago when our new GST(general sales tax or something) was coming into effect i made a label to stick on white paper lunch bags saying "taxpayers barf bag for GST sickness" . Nobody wanted the GST and people bought them to protest -I sold about 3000 of them.   A community newspaper reporter came to visit me where I was selling them on the street downtown,  took my photo and did a little interview. I told him the barf bags were free but all I was charging for them was tax.
      June 30, 2018 7:28 PM MDT

Yes, many times for my conservation work with the US Fish and Wildlife Service.  Our local paper was usually pretty even handed, giving pro-development and conservation voices a fair hearing.  My last project (which precipitated my early retirement) would have been covered by ABC News but the 9-11 attack eclipsed that story.   Later when I worked for a national conservation organization, PEER, a project I worked on made the Associated Press.  Again, that reporting was unbiased.
      June 30, 2018 10:32 PM MDT

a number of times

July 1, 2018 10:11 AM MDT