Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Would You Shop At a Store Which Refused to Take Cash?

Would You Shop At a Store Which Refused to Take Cash?

Stores to customers: "Cash not welcome here"

To get a glimpse of the future of commerce in America, look no further than Sweden.

The Scandinavian country is largely a cashless society, with consumers relying on mobile phone payments or plastic. While the U.S. is still far from achieving the same level of cash-free existence, increasing numbers of restaurants and retailers are now snubbing the lowly dollar bill.

Posted - August 13, 2016

Responses

• No.

Can imagine a time when we may return to barter.

August 13, 2016 5:18 PM MDT

Not only no, but HELL no!

The chief benefit to cash transactions is anonymity.  I've seen what happens to people who make 'strange' or 'suspect' purchase via electronic means. No thank you.

August 13, 2016 5:18 PM MDT

No i would not due to the fact my S/O (for some weird reason) wants to know how much cash I have on hand.

All he had to do was ask.  hahahaha he makes things so complicated with his wild ideas. 

I love him anyway/ 

August 13, 2016 5:21 PM MDT

Not if I had nothing else on me.

August 13, 2016 5:24 PM MDT

Excuse me? "Return"?  :-)

August 13, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

Why do you allow anyone to control/manipulate you like that?  Why is it anyone's business how much cash you have on hand?

August 13, 2016 5:30 PM MDT

That would be SOP for me.  I don't use credit cards.  I have one with a very low limit which I use online, but it stays in a lock-box inside my office.

August 13, 2016 5:31 PM MDT

Nope. I have run into some places that charge a fee for paying cash, though.

It's being pushed across Scandinavia. In reality, however, it is being embraced by people throughout western nations. People like the convenience and perceived safety of using electronic transfers...never realizing the pitfalls that such a system holds.

http://www.ibtimes.com/norways-biggest-bank-calls-country-stop-using-cash-2276140

http://www.cctv-america.com/2016/03/15/norway-leads-cashless-revolution

August 13, 2016 6:05 PM MDT

I think it would be fun to pile my cart with 1,000$ of stuff and when I went to the checkout line and they said no cash...walk away and say..." I guess I won't be coming here anymore".

August 13, 2016 6:13 PM MDT

• No I would not

August 13, 2016 6:16 PM MDT

Hello there Nimitz
    Probably not.
    I don't like to use credit or debit cards. I give myself a monthly allowance for daily needs. I like the feel of cash. I always know exactly how much I have on hand. I don't make big purchases very often so I don't use credit.
    I have also found that many of the people I deal with on a regular basis, mechanic, printers etc. will dive a discount for cash..
    I have little debt, aside from property which I have to make payments on, I pay cash for everything else. Keeps it simple and less risk of error or theft. There is also this, my bank recently informed me that my debit card is now required to be 'chipped". Don't like that. I don't think it's anyone's business what I do with my money. Why does it need a chip, what are they tracking..

I think we are turning to much if ourselves over to technology. One of the reasons I don't buy new cars us I don't like how they feel. I want to make the decisions on the road. I want to feel the road. Had one new car and hated it. If it sensed rain the wipers would go on automatically, it had sensors for the f'n sensors. You couldn't just crack the window open, hit the button once and it rolls all the way down or all the way up, give me the ol' window crank, less to go wrong and easy to fix.
      August 13, 2016 6:18 PM MDT

Yes

August 13, 2016 6:22 PM MDT

August 13, 2016 6:24 PM MDT

I couldn't  shop in a store like that because I only use cash - I won't use debit or credit cards and part of the reason is years ago the people that take care of the cash machines left the door of their truck open and a bunch of info was stolen like pin numbers so I stopped trusting them. In Canada it's getting so that if people use cash other people figure their drug dealers of criminals  - hope I don't see they day that we become a cash less society.  Cheers and happy weekend!

August 13, 2016 6:53 PM MDT

No problem. I don't like carrying cash with me because all I do is spend it.

At least with a credit card I just buy stuff I need.
      August 13, 2016 7:15 PM MDT

No I would not shop at a store or dine at a restaurant that would not take cash or a check.  I am and encouraging others to leave the plastic in the wallet except when you actually might need credit.  Make business handle money and checks.  What you buy is no one's business but yours.  Don't be foolish sheep.  

SWEDEN is not our role model!!!!

August 13, 2016 10:03 PM MDT

I won't ever drive one of those damn cars.  I ma y have to drive a basic p ick  up and that wi ll be fine.  I'm driving a  2 000  Ex plo rer S port.  I wo uld love to have a new car b ut I don't want what the y are selling.

August 13, 2016 10:37 PM MDT
  • Bez

I would not. I would tell them straight, "it's cash and nothing else from me, so you can take your silly plastic and wipe your bottom on it". I mean that with the utmost sincerity.

August 13, 2016 10:40 PM MDT
  • Bez

I'm with you on that last statement, Thriftymaid. Sweden is Sweden's role model and nobody else's.

August 13, 2016 10:42 PM MDT

Bingo!!

August 14, 2016 12:07 AM MDT

In the event that we in the states should ever become infected with this madness, I have an idea for an excellent business opportunity.  :-)

August 14, 2016 12:21 AM MDT

Precisely!  In fact, many people are going either partially or totally 'off grid' for many of the reasons you cite. Some are going so far as to buy seventies and eighties-vintage cars and, rather than be tied to the government by way of permanent real estate, are preferring mobile living arrangements instead. (Think modern gypsies.)

In any case, if you wanna make some money, just wait till a community goes cashless and set up a brick and mortar where people can still use cash.  They'll come to you in droves!  The more you have that they want, the more they will come to you.  Many people, but Americans in particular, are averse to this kind of Panopticon society and will do anything to avoid it.

August 14, 2016 12:27 AM MDT

Join the club.

NOW you know what "cash for clunkers" was really about.

August 14, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

As long as they leave me alone, people can think whatever they want.

August 14, 2016 12:29 AM MDT