Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Will you share a few movie titles of films that you think are excellent but you think few people have seen?

Will you share a few movie titles of films that you think are excellent but you think few people have seen?

Here are three of mine (maybe I'll try to eventually add some art of each film).

"Frailty"

"Strangers in Good Company"

"Ravenous"

Image result for Image result for ravenous movie poster Image result for strangers in good company movie poster

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

I just watched Benjamin Button for extra credit for a class.  It was excellent.
      July 9, 2018 6:13 PM MDT

I've not seen it but have heard good things about it.
    :)
      July 9, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

"Road Kill" it's a Canadian made film about a big city entertainment agent that gets demoted  and sent to Sudberry  Ontario to book acts in dives  (run down bars). I really liked it because there are a lot of surprizing plot twist and at the end Joey Ramon makes a surprize appearance. I almost didn't watch it because it was filmed in black and white but I think it made the movie better Sudberry is a pretty dingy town so  filming it in black and white worked.. Cheers! 

July 9, 2018 6:50 PM MDT

Thanks, Nanoose! I only skimmed your answer because I think I saw somewhere in there your mentioning the end of the movie. I prefer to know nothing about a movie before I see it and I've not seen "Road Kill."
     Ha!
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 9, 2018 6:56 PM MDT
      July 9, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

I just goggled it and found that there are lots of other movies with the same title so I found the right one and will post a link to more info about it. Cheers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_(1989_film)
      July 9, 2018 7:00 PM MDT

That's what I have you for.

Let's see.

Gone Baby Gone.
    Casey Affleck

Dancer in the Dark
    (lol)

Legend
    Tom Cruise

Far and Away
    Tom Cruise

(he was good in many movies and really bad in many movies)

Queen of the Damned
    Aaylia

McCabe and Mrs. Miller
    Warren Beatty Julie Christie

This Sporting Life

All of the Andy Warhol movies of the 60's

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 10, 2018 10:47 AM MDT
      July 9, 2018 7:42 PM MDT

Guess which one of those is the only one that I've seen?
    ;)

I need to catch up.
      July 10, 2018 10:48 AM MDT

No.  It's just that these movies are too NORMAL for you.   That's all.   You rock with those extreme indie type movies, Welby.
      July 10, 2018 12:08 PM MDT

I've seen two of those.

I immediately thought of Indochine, Babette's Feast, and Agnes of God.
      July 9, 2018 8:48 PM MDT

I saw Agnes of God, one of the weirdest movies ever.

I was intrigued by Indochine because I liked that name, but never saw it.

The other one?  No clue.

Hi Thrifty.
      July 9, 2018 9:05 PM MDT

Indochine....Indochina (SE Asia).  It's wonderful but you have to read subtitles.  

Agnes of God stayed with me in a strong way.  It's like I just watched it last week, but it's been years.

Hello friend.  Hope you are happy and healthy these days.  :)
      July 9, 2018 9:10 PM MDT

I don't mind subtitles at all.  Hardly notice them.

It's like reading a movie.

Hello friend,  I am doing okay. I am living alone now and loving it.  I am not used to having a job I can depend on and taking the reigns of my life again.

Hope all is very well with you.
      July 9, 2018 9:12 PM MDT

That sounds wonderful.  I"m so glad your job situation is good.  You worked hard to get here.  :)
      July 9, 2018 9:14 PM MDT

And I've seen two of your choices.

("Indochine" --  I always find Catherine Deneuve great --  and "Babette's Feast")

I liked both.

Which two of the ones I picked have you seen? I think once we might have mentioned "Strangers in Good Company" at some point in the past. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 10, 2018 10:01 PM MDT
      July 10, 2018 10:51 AM MDT

Yep, that one and Frailty. 
      July 10, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

"Frailty" blew me away. I really liked it. Well, obviously from my question, I like all three movies I used in my question.
      July 11, 2018 10:32 AM MDT

• "Stake Your Claim"
    "Secret of Roan Inish"
    "Rabbit-proof Fence"
    "St. Helens"
    "The Bellboy"
    "The Old Man & the Sea"

July 9, 2018 8:52 PM MDT

I actually saw most of those

All but the first one.  Oh man, I saw them.  So cool.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 10, 2018 10:53 AM MDT
      July 9, 2018 9:06 PM MDT

• First one is a comedy and the last two were just really old movies that I figured not many younger people would have seen.

It was such a random selection and remote.  I was amazed I has seen them all except that first one.

It's not like I am a movie-goer or watcher as of late.  Like the last decade, I am not watching movies.  I am not even reading books.  So, it was amazing that anyone even remembers Roan Innish.  That was a good movie too. 

How about Dancing on Lun .... I have to find it.  Hold on....

Here it is.  I would have butchered the spelling of that Celtic word.

Anyway that movie just appeared in my mind. 

It is very remote.

Dancing at Lughnasa (1998)
    Directed by Pat O'Connor

Written by Frank McGuinness

Based On The Play by Brian Friel

Drama, Foreign   Rated PG For Mild Language and Thematic Elements

94 minutes

| Roger Ebert
    December 23, 1998 | 3
    Print Page

The story, based on the award-winning play by Brian Friel, tells of the five Mundy sisters, who live in a cottage in rural Ireland in the 1930s. One has an out-of-wedlock son, Michael. As the film opens, they receive a visitor: their older brother, Father Jack, who has returned in retirement after years in Africa. He is not quite all there; his eyes wander and he loses the drift. The equatorial sun and the lure of African customs (shown in the movie's opening credits) have worn down his Catholic beliefs, and after inquiring about his young nephew's father and discovering there is none of record, he suggests cheerfully, "I'd like you all to have a love child!" This does not go down well with Kate Mundy (Meryl Streep), a schoolteacher, firm and unyielding. It becomes apparent that the five women and the boy have been living in such close quarters for so long that only silence and routine make it bearable. One sister smokes all the time. Rose (Sophie Thompson), simple-minded, moons for a married man. Christina (Catherine McCormack), Michael's mother, waits too patiently for periodic visits from her dashing lover Gerry (Rhys Ifans). He roars up on a motorcycle, charms her, dazzles his son (Darrell Johnston) and then roars off again--to fight against Franco in Spain, he explains.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 10, 2018 10:54 AM MDT
      July 9, 2018 9:15 PM MDT

The Bellboy with Jerry Lewis?  

I'm sure that is what he means.

OLLDDD
      July 9, 2018 9:20 PM MDT

• Yes ... the first silent movie after they stopped making silent movies.  (sorta)  :)) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 10, 2018 10:54 AM MDT
      July 9, 2018 9:21 PM MDT

I've seen none of them
      July 10, 2018 10:53 AM MDT