Discussion » Questions » Politics » Would Trump really do away with NATO? Who would that serve? Would destabilising NATO play into Putin's hands?

Would Trump really do away with NATO? Who would that serve? Would destabilising NATO play into Putin's hands?

Sensible answers please and no insults :P

Posted - July 10, 2018

Responses

Russia does not have the equivalent of NATO backing him up. Trump just might do it, despite the warnings of his Generals and Admirals.
      July 10, 2018 11:27 AM MDT

Exactly... we read that his advisors are hoping he doesn't do away with NATO.. and as you say Russia, powerful tho it is, does not have anything that can match it.. 
      July 10, 2018 11:37 AM MDT

No ... he can't.
    All he can do is withdraw the US from it ... though that may require an act of Congress, I'm not sure.

Anyways, NATO would continue to exist without the US.
    In fact, many of the other member nations have been ramping up their military budgets since the Russian annexation of Crimea and it's war with Ukraine.  
      July 10, 2018 12:01 PM MDT

You make some very good points.. I understand that many European nations have said that they prefer to protect themselves... I am not sure of the wisdom of that but that's what we hear.. There were rumours that the EU wanted to have its own force too, like Nato.. again I am not sure of the wisdom of that.. 

But it is very reassuring that NATO won't just end if Trump says so... It's right that every nation pays their contribution to NATO but I would worry if it ceased to be. 
      July 10, 2018 12:08 PM MDT

Not ramping up much....that is the problem. Only 5 of the 29 members spend the amount agreed upon which is 2% of their GDP. Those are USA, UK, Greece, Poland and Estonia. 
      July 13, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

It's not easy to switch your spending from one budget program to another ... without just raising taxes.

And Germany has a valid point that other European nations (not to mention Northern Africa and the MidEast) are still wary of Germany suddenly increasing their military budget and the size of their military.  I mean, after WWI and WWII.

July 17, 2018 12:02 PM MDT

Yes but in this case the reason why is out in the open not surprise to worry or wonder about.  
    But I do believe Germany will definitely raise again...a 4th Reich. 
      July 17, 2018 2:02 PM MDT

I don't think they worry about Germany NOW ... but more like, what will Germany do with such a powerful military in the future?

Seems like the Europeans are well aware of the truism that the only reason to have a military is to use it.  LOL

(unlike Americans, who pretend that we have the world's strongest military but only use it in our defense - and not to intimidate the rest of the world.)

July 17, 2018 2:38 PM MDT

Well, I am no political scientist, but it is easy to see that Europe still viewed (Until TRUMP) the USA as a very powerful ally.  This crippling of that trust allows Putin to gain advantage of weakened enemies.

The USA is only working for Russia.  It is transparent.  We are letting it happen.  Trump is Putin's puppet and the whole world is watching helplessly as a few red states let all this happen. 

The money these "conservatives" have pilfered is earthshattering.  While they shatter the earth by dismantling all funding for Global Warming prevention.  They control People who should not even be allowed to vote.  They know that Trump told them he was going to make 'merica Great agin.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at July 10, 2018 12:16 PM MDT
      July 10, 2018 12:14 PM MDT

The best thing a government can do is nothing, and in most cases they should have done it a lot sooner.
      July 10, 2018 8:11 PM MDT

Libertarians are worse than Republicans.  They are dreamers who have no concept of where their dreams lead.  That have zero answers.  They just are armchair generals shouting orders to anyone who would stay awake long enough to bother listening.  Which is no one. 
      July 17, 2018 12:24 PM MDT

The USA can leave. I don't think we will, just want other countries to step up and pay their share.
      July 13, 2018 7:23 PM MDT

Oh.  Thank you.  I didn't see that.

You see, I watch the REAL NEWS. NOT the FAKE FOX NEWS. And even FOX is appalled at this.  Not just the one guy you tried to mention, Sheppard.  Not just Sheppard.  Everyone is talking about the shameful display the entire world witnessed between your guy and Putin. 

First he primes our ALLIES (what do you have against people who have defended us and have provided much more than dollars to defend our way of life, which RUSSIA HAS NOT) with insults and then illegally hides in plain sight with PUTIN (I am SURE this was PUTIN'S idea) for two hours and then goes on the world stage like a terrified baby next to PUTIN and defers to him.

The entire world is sickened and appalled and yet you persist in being so obtuse you keep parroting some nonsense that even your fellow TRUMPETEERS are shaking their heads in shame.

This is beyond inexcusable.  This is his Swan song. 

I told you he would not make it through this year.  He will not stop the cruel, stupid and crazy.  It will escalate.  You will see.  He is running scared and the world is watching.  He is seconds away from jail.

JAIL.  Not impeachment.  He is certifiably insane.

So, tell me.  How does someone who is supposedly sane (I truly wonder what the deal is here) can ignore repeatedly the atrocities he is committing that his party, our allies, and the globe in general is shocked at and Putin and Jong Un's bloody hands are clapping over and yet you still persist with the laughable if not sad retorts.

This man is a a walking crime scene.  Everyone knows this.  If you are just being stubborn?  I feel sorry for those who have to deal with someone who thinks this way on a daily basis.  In the face of insurmountable odds, you keep it up and pretend one thing is not true because you have a solution that fixes the reason.

Sorry, no paper towels will help Puerto Rico, Trump orphaned children out of spite, and now he has admitted that he will do Putin's bidding at the expense of Obama's connections. 

This is a sick, spiteful man who had hookers pee on a matress slept on by a man he could never hope to emulate.

I'm sure the Russians have videos of him after a party where someone spiked his water and videoed him in this hotel room.  They staged the whole thing.

I am sure that he is in bed with Russian oligarchs for millions and billions.  I am sure he'd better know that he keeps his mouth shut or he will wind up with a daughter with acid thrown on her face and a wife who may just turn tail and run like hell.
      July 17, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

Bravo !!!

David Koresh was the American cult leader of the Branch Davidians sect, believing himself to be its final prophet. Koresh came from a dysfunctional family...

In the end, I wonder how many other parallels there will be that most people refuse to notice.

Edit: spelling

Edit: I took a two (or three...recovery time is imprecise) day break from here to allow my brain to un-numb itself from the occasional really unique answer I read on here. This post was edited by tom jackson at July 17, 2018 9:25 PM MDT
      July 17, 2018 2:39 PM MDT