Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » What are you teaching your kids about authority figures?

What are you teaching your kids about authority figures?

Posted - July 17, 2018

Responses

• An Authority = a person who is willing to tell you more about a subject than you really want to know. 
      July 17, 2018 8:02 PM MDT

"Watch out for Uncle Zack, my little ones . . . "

~
      July 17, 2018 8:11 PM MDT

I taught my kids to be respectful of, but not a slave for authority figures; for some merely present themselves as such, lacking real authority. 

Authority is a condition of mutual role respect, not a license to oppress.
    Pass it on. 
      July 17, 2018 8:12 PM MDT

Respect only good ole common sense as my partents once said....:) 
    Well put...:) 
      July 17, 2018 8:26 PM MDT

Wonderful.
      August 7, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

Don't believe one word they say....don't ever become part of thier brain washing or follow them blindly ..
      July 17, 2018 8:28 PM MDT

(thier their)
      August 7, 2018 7:44 PM MDT

Where ? 
      August 8, 2018 12:41 AM MDT

I've always put critical thinking skills first. My oldest son gives me a hard time about it. He's 20 now and says his siblings are disrespectful because virtually everything is open to debate. I then point out to him that the only reason he feels comfortable expressing that opinion is that he was raised exactly the same way... and still, he doesn't shut up. Ah, the joys of youth. It sucks how when you grow up, you stop knowing everything. 

Anyway, the gist is, they should make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions. If something isn't right, they should discuss it. That said, if someone in a position of authority is asking them to do something and it isn't harmful, they should do it. And, if your mother tells you to lay off how she's raising your siblings, shut the heck up. She raised you and you're (mostly) ok, except for that big mouth of yours. Just sayin'. 
      July 18, 2018 2:35 AM MDT

I assume that you gave them the values and principles without which critical thinking is of little value and that you considered that to be so obvious that you didn't mention it.---(I would consider that to be quite consistent with the type of person you have indicated you are.)
      August 7, 2018 4:21 PM MDT

I taught my kids to be polite and to treat others as they would wish to be treated BUT that teachers, police, etc aren't always right. They get things wrong if the things they get wrong involve them, (as in my kids) then SAY so, speak up for yourself.. My kids have a lot of issues, with their disabilities but I am incredibly proud that they speak up for themselves when things aren't right..  As an example.. I was so proud of my daughter when she sat and told the vice principle of the college, no less, that she needed to be able to doodle while she listened to the teacher as it helps her concentrate, (apparently there's a term for it but I didn't know that and neither did she) and she told him what support she needs, when.. Whenever I have to meet the same vice principle - I am really nervous because I was taught you only get to speak to people like that if you have been bad.. but my my kids don't have that same irrational fear. 
      July 18, 2018 8:53 AM MDT

i dont have kids
      August 7, 2018 3:56 PM MDT

Seriously, why do you bother? 
      August 7, 2018 4:10 PM MDT

I've taught them it's ok to disagree if they can present their side calmly and like an adult. I've also told them that they do not have to respect the person, but they do have to respect the position. 
      August 7, 2018 4:36 PM MDT