Discussion » Questions » Weather » We had a tornado tear apart the elementary school 1/2 mile from where I live yesterday . Ever seen a tornado live?

We had a tornado tear apart the elementary school 1/2 mile from where I live yesterday . Ever seen a tornado live?

Posted - July 28, 2018

Responses

No. Weather is kinda boring here in the desert. We have dust devils, and even that small size is surprisingly powerful.

Boring: winds in January, rains in July. Once my apartment was flooded by a rainstorm 80 miles away. The storm filled up Roosevelt Lake until they had to release water into the canal system. That water flowed 80 miles until it found a low bank. Then it roared down an alley, wiped out two fences, turned a corner, and flowed into my apartment. It didn't rain at all in town.
      July 28, 2018 7:46 PM MDT

Wow how strange. So was this tornado. Very uncharacteristic from our normal weather pattern. ;_ 
      July 28, 2018 9:18 PM MDT

First, I am glad you are not hurt and your house is o.k. along with the fur and feathered family.  Second,  I hope everyone is o.k. from the school.  Third, Yes I have.  Twice in Colorado when I worked at Boulder Valley Ranch.  I've seen more than a few water spouts too!  All are hairy-scary!! This post was edited by Merlin at July 29, 2018 7:03 PM MDT
      July 28, 2018 8:01 PM MDT

The school lost its roof and the playground was flattened.  I heard a train like noise and looked out the window. Didnt see anything, but it was so black I knew it wasnt good. A lot of people got footage from there phones. I looked at the phone videos later that afternoon at the grocery store. People were showing it to everyone. We were all so shocked .;=
      July 28, 2018 9:20 PM MDT

Shocked is the perfect word to use here carbon.  We (meaning us a race not person) need to be reminded that "Mother Nature,"  "Earth,"  "The Third Rock from the Sun," "The Living Hell,"  whatever name you have given
    IS Actually IN CONTROL of how and why we live.  She can make any and everything happen and wipe us out lickety-split. .... without even batting an eye.
    Her power is breathtaking.  Sometimes in a scary way.  Sometimes in a fascinating way.  But ALWAYS in an unbelievable, thankful, and most  RESPECTFUL way. This post was edited by Merlin at July 29, 2018 10:21 PM MDT
      July 29, 2018 9:56 AM MDT

Glad you are safe. 
    I have seen devastating after effects. Never watched during. 
      July 28, 2018 9:40 PM MDT

At age 10, I noticed a very dark  (black or greenish) sky on the horizon. We lived in a mobile home in those days and I peered out the back window as rain and wind flattened the grass. I noticed a flash of blue electricity as the wind became savage. It was the power line to the neighbor's house as their garage roof blew off and started to spin around as it lifted up into the sky. Mother yelled "get down!" as the shingles pelted our trailer. When the storm suddenly subsided, we looked out at the destruction. Our home was in good shape but the neighbor's garage was gone. They said it was just a 'small' tornado. 
      July 29, 2018 3:04 PM MDT

yes i feel like theres one now outside since its so windy
      July 29, 2018 5:41 PM MDT

we had a tornato warning here and it got really windy and hailed a lot for a while, when it was over i saw a rainbow
      July 30, 2018 8:10 PM MDT

Oh gosh, folks! There goes Pearl up to the Land of Oz! 
      August 2, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

• "Out-ran one in Alabama."  Everyone was pulling-off the road
     and parking in the bar ditch, but that wouldn't have worked
     for my trailer, so I high-tailed it outta there!

October 9, 2018 1:29 PM MDT