Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » For people living in hot sunny zones would it be financially feasible to have solar panels installed to power their air conditioning units?

For people living in hot sunny zones would it be financially feasible to have solar panels installed to power their air conditioning units?

Some people have mentioned the high cost of power consumption for air conditioning to make their homes comfortable to live.

Posted - July 29, 2018

Responses

www(dot)mrmoneymustache(dot)com/ has a long article about exactly that. He has found a dealer who charges 60 cents a watt. Maybe that means you do your own installation. 

He is in southern Colorado.

I have been thinking about that for a long time. My problem is that all dealers tout the government subsidy instead of offering a free market price. I don't owe taxes, so a tax rebate means nothing to me. This post was edited by Not Sure at July 29, 2018 9:00 AM MDT
      July 29, 2018 3:36 AM MDT

If you can get past the initial costs, it becomes a better deal than buying your power off the grid. We have solar panels at our residence.
    Here in Fla, you sell what you don’t use/can’t store back to the local power company, but the crooks will sell it back to you at a higher rate if you aren’t making enough, during the occasional storm and whatnot. I haven’t had an electric bill in months. 
      July 29, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

Most whole house AC units require 220 volt power. The cost would be high and your lawn AND roof would be covered with panels. Something else to consider ------- panels do not last forever. I have heard it is about 7-8 years. The people whos business it is to sell you this stuff will tell you another story.
      July 29, 2018 1:36 PM MDT

probably
      July 29, 2018 5:31 PM MDT