Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker? If so, did anything interesting ever become of it? ~

Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker? If so, did anything interesting ever become of it? ~

Posted - August 1, 2018

Responses

I picked up a cute guy when I was 18. We didnt really hit it off. I suspect he was gay.
      August 1, 2018 8:20 AM MDT

It was me.
    You were really nice, though! Thanks for the ride!
    ;)
      August 1, 2018 8:46 AM MDT

Nice move, Welby. I was half a block up the road from where she picked you up, and if she had not seen you first, that could have been ME, pal!  I guarantee you that there would not have been a wasted opportunity. Grrrrrrrr. 

August 1, 2018 8:54 AM MDT

Damn!

(No offense to you, carbonproduct!)

August 1, 2018 8:57 AM MDT

Darn, you were a cutie too. Some guy is lucky to have you. Grrrrrrrrr ;))
      August 1, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

Ha!
    :)
      August 1, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

• "Sorta" ... I picked up a new driver, at the Denver terminal, and drove him to the main terminal in Dallas.

During the trip, we got stopped at a scale in Arizona and nearly cited because he was sitting in the co-driver's seat and not logging his hours. Neither one of us realized that this was illegal, as we were both relatively new employees, and we were lucky to only be warned.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 1, 2018 10:57 AM MDT
      August 1, 2018 8:26 AM MDT

(sited cited)
      August 1, 2018 8:31 AM MDT

• What would I do without you?!  Hmmmm ... can't remember!  :)
      August 1, 2018 8:37 AM MDT

NO.  Never.

That is not the end of the story though.

I did not begin to drive until I was past 40.  I got a license and never used it after I had a crash when I was 23.

From 23 to 40, I hitchhiked everywhere.  I never drove, I stuck out my thumb and pulled out a ride.

I never got hurt, I never had to call the police.  But I did have a few uncomfortable moments here and there.

Finally, I realized that my days were numbered because I never had one problem to speak of and I felt that it was just too dangerous.  It took me 20 years to figure that one out.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 1, 2018 10:19 AM MDT
      August 1, 2018 8:31 AM MDT

No....I don't play guess my weight with any strange bystander....most of em want a quick lift and not some wierd guessing game ....:( 
      August 1, 2018 9:03 AM MDT

Eh, depends on how you describe the term "hitchhiker." I've never picked up anyone who was roadside with their thumb out, but I sometimes give rides to strangers when I realize there's a need. My oldest tells me it's going to get me killed one day, but I ask every single one of them if they're an axe murderer before I let them in my vehicle. So far, so good. 

So... last week or the week before I was nearly home and stopped by a gas station about a block away. As I was leaving, I saw this guy on the corner. It looked like he was homeless and panhandling. Well, the guy all of a sudden crumbles to the ground and starts bawling. And, it's like 120 degrees out. So, I'm thinking he needs some air conditioning, a drink, and a meal. I go park my car and walk up to him. I learn he's not homeless, but he is a day laborer who got  scammed out of several days of pay. To make matters worse, he just had a tooth extraction and the person who was supposed to come and get him to take him home no-showed. 

I volunteer to take him home and find out the guy lives 30 minutes east of me, but super close to where I once lived... a gorgeous area at the base of the Superstition Mountains. It's monsoon season here and the clouds had begun to roll in. I'm thinking what a beautiful drive it will be and hoping I get caught in the rain out there (us desert-dwellers are a bit odd), so I agree to make the trip. 

I kid you not, minutes into the trip, the guy starts telling me about how he just wants to go home and get his clothes and then go back to the state mental hospital. Yup. Back to. And, for the entire 30-minute drive, he tells me in exact details what his family history is, what his mental health history is, what his criminal history is, and how proud he is to be doing better these days. Now, I will add that at no point did I fear for my safety. He was nutty, but he was a grateful nut. As we wrapped up the drive, he asked if he could take me out to dinner sometime. I told him I stay pretty busy with work and kids. He took it well, said "God bless you," and left it at that. I should also add that he reassured me he was about to become a household name. He's doing all kinds of projects, including music, writing, and starting businesses. I also politely declined the invite to write his XXX biography, but he tells me he'll remember my kindness when he's rich and famous. Lucky me.
      August 1, 2018 10:48 AM MDT

Only once.  I married him.  True story.
      August 1, 2018 10:45 PM MDT

In the 70s and 80s because in those days I used to hitch so I was sympathetic.  I remember some good conversations but that is about all. Eventually it just became too dangerous because I would hear about hitchhikers that would assault and rob and murder people. 
      August 2, 2018 9:16 AM MDT

no since i dont drive
      August 2, 2018 5:00 PM MDT