Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Parents of adult children...Are they doing better than you did? My daughter is, but my son isn't.

Parents of adult children...Are they doing better than you did? My daughter is, but my son isn't.

Posted - August 8, 2018

Responses

Both my sons are doing better. Our oldest son and his wife both have Government jobs here on the Island - scoring a Government job in BC is like winning the lottery - your set for life in paradise. Our youngest son and his wife both have Government jobs in Saskatchewan but scoring a Government job in Saskatchewan isn't like winning the lottery because your stuck in Saskatchewan and it's really really cold there. Right now they are starting to think they would rather be digging ditches in BC then living in Saskatchewan. There is a huge difference in the cost of living and the cost of property and houses between BC and Saskatoon but what will help make the move financially possible for them is my son not listening to me when he was a kid. Back then he was into Magic The Gathering cards. I thought they were a waste of money. But now a days  he makes money buying and selling the cards and really makes a killing by speculating what cards will jump in value. He will buy 100 cards at 25 cents each and sometimes in a mouth each card is worth 3 to 5 dollars plus they will always be worth 3 to 5 dollars. Cheers!
      August 8, 2018 7:04 PM MDT

Better than I did?  I'm not sure how to digest that but I will say my daughter is very successful in the family business that she has taken over as well as her own profession for which she prepared to the level of PhD.  She has two great kids and is very happy.  And, yes, she makes quite a lot of money.  She was raised with a strong work ethic ingrained into her.  

My own path was quite different as I grew up in a poor family.  I also worked hard and achieved education at the doctorate level.  I had great and happy kids.  I also earned a handsome salary.  I've always been a happy person regardless of the bank account.  I grew up with a strong work ethic ingrained into me.  

My daughters grew up in a household much different from the one in which I was raised.  We all succeeded financially because of the work ethic.....not the money our parents had.    And we all succeeded in life because we are happy, and that's what it's all about...................I'm feeling the urge now to go into the Hokey Pokey.  ;)
      August 8, 2018 9:59 PM MDT

In some aspects of life, nope. The truly good thing is that they didn't get married in their early twenties and begin procreating just over two years later. The negatives are that they don't seem to care much about establishing themselves in financial stability and frugal fitness. 

:)

:(

August 8, 2018 10:08 PM MDT

My son is doing better than I did, my daughter is the black sheep and isnt doing so well.
      August 8, 2018 10:32 PM MDT

Wait a minute, what's wrong with black?  That's it, now we're through for good!  Grrrrrrrrr. 

~
      August 8, 2018 11:01 PM MDT

ive never had children
      August 9, 2018 3:47 PM MDT