Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Debate: of these two entities listed below, which is more important, and why?

Debate: of these two entities listed below, which is more important, and why?

The police, who investigate crimes, or the district attorney's office, which prosecutes offenders?

(Disclaimer: you have to select one over the other, can't cheat and take from the promo for the "Law and Order" tv franchise. Lol.)
~

Posted - August 9, 2018

Responses

I would say the police who investigate the crimes and pile evidence. Without the police doing the dirty work and gathering evidence prosecutors wouldn’t have a strong enough case.
      August 9, 2018 6:42 AM MDT

Each is important for it’s own reasons, and both serve as steps in the overall judicial process. One is incomplete without the other. 
    That said, since the police deal with other issues like emergency responses and traffic controls that never get to the DA’s desk, I’ll go with the cops. 
      August 9, 2018 6:49 AM MDT

(its own reasons)

[I'm not joking this time.]
      August 9, 2018 6:54 AM MDT

I disagree with you, Randy.

Singular possessive of the pronoun, NOT a plural noun

Is it that you posted a serious question as platform for your niggling and nitpicking? 

I was prepared to compliment you on (finally) posting something of substance, but your response is as meaningless as it is annoying. I’ll withhold said compliment, as well as further regard for your commentaries. 

I‘m not joking either. This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 9, 2018 2:22 PM MDT
      August 9, 2018 9:18 AM MDT

I'm just sitting in the court room.  But watching the ball bounce between the two of you is better than tennis.  I love tennis. 
    I will sway to side with Randy because I know and like him personally.  Adding to his obsessive behavior, he is correct 99% of the time. 
    Don, you rarely show personality.  That's o.k.  Somewhere inside me, I try to give you a little humor.  Here is a thought that came to mind about you. "Facts.  Just the facts., ma'am."  Dragnet made me giggle with a little wiggle for your approach. 

You also have your name.  Don.  Not that you can take credit for having such a gallant one, but it holds great power with me.  With this in your court, you have a leading edge.
    You just have a different means about attacking the problem in question.

All these weigh in on a verdict.  
    As much as you both want to hash it out, remember, facts are facts but it is we, the people, who decide.  Being likable has proven to be more probable. This post was edited by Merlin at August 10, 2018 1:24 AM MDT
      August 9, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

Hi Merlin, 
    Thanks for your thoughtful analysis, you seem a kindly sort, and as a frequent attendee and one liked by all here, allow me to address some of your points.

First, Don Barzini is not my name, but a pseudonym I adopted. The name of a character from one of my favorite movies, The Godfather. If you knew me personally, you’d see how it suits me. Whatever the perception of my personality, what must be clear to all is I will speak my peace. 

Second, I love tennis too, and I play quite regularly.

Third, and getting to the point here, this ongoing nitpicking of spelling and grammar by the accused, is, IMO, inherently pointless, inappropriate and more than a little disrespectful. 

What must one think of expending the time and effort to post a thoughtful response only to have Captain OCD cherrypick it for trifling errors, irrelevant to and distracting from the conversation?

I don’t care for it, won’t reward it with kindness, nor will I pay any undue heed to it’s purveyor(s).
    I encourage you to proceed as your conscience dictates. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 9, 2018 3:19 PM MDT
      August 9, 2018 1:28 PM MDT

You just gave me happy goosebumps. 
    Yes.  Yes.  and Yes.  You are a wonderful kind of mysterious beast.  One that is accurate and firm, yet kind.  I bet your like your back hand in tennis.  
    I mean this in all respect and sincerity.  Just like any Don would expect.  
    We've known each other a long time and a friendship I do wish to continue, happily. :) :)
      August 9, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

However, I would not like to play tennis with you.  You'd kick my bottom right off the court  in no time.  Rallying, maybe.
    Perhaps a little pool?  Naw.... You'd get me in a game of 8 ball for sure, too.
    O.K., how about darts?  A little 301? 
    You're probably good at math too.
    Even though you could and would beat me at all the games I try to be good at, I like you just the way you are.

Big giggles and smiles! This post was edited by Merlin at August 9, 2018 3:31 PM MDT
      August 9, 2018 3:24 PM MDT

I thank you for your kind words. It’s like...you’re watching (?)

BTW, I am ridiculously good at math. 

I have not found it rewarding to run opponents off the court, I would adapt my game to keep you wanting to continue. Now put a few bucks down....
      August 9, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

AAAaahhhh HA!  I knew, like any good Don, you would have a money balancing weakness.  It balances only when the bills are in your court.  

After I respectfully ask, I'll lay down the Prince of Wales, William (affectionately known as Bill), Bill Clinton, Bill Murray, Billy Crystal, Billy Joel, Bill Cosby, Bill Gates, and I'll throw in Bill Maher, just for kicks! The icing on the great pile of bills?  I can win with "Will Power."  A man whose name speaks for a triumphant race.
    How's that for a "quick turn" of events??  Big WINKS and SMILES !! This post was edited by Merlin at August 9, 2018 4:00 PM MDT
      August 9, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

Don, is it possible that a person can be just as annoyed by grammatical errors, or do you have the monopoly on being annoyed? It's not hypocritical for you to freely express that you take exception to something that I write when what I write is my free expression of things to which I take exception. Not. If you truly believe that I should just be more like you and just ignore those errors, should you not follow your own example and just ignore my writing about the errors?
    ~
      August 10, 2018 1:42 AM MDT

Don, your agreeing with me or not agreeing with me is irrelevant in the face of this simple fact: the apostrophe just doesn't belong in the word you used. I don't state it as merely being my opinion, or my perspective, or my preferred way of writing the word, I state it as pure and simple fact. If you choose to disagree, you're perfectly entitled to do so, and you'd still be incorrect. 
      If you've chosen this as the hill on which you plan to die, fine. I don't see it as being all that important. I believe that you might be big enough to admit whenever you've made a mistake on something, I know that I not only am but that I often do it. I don't really know you well enough to ascertain that in you, but whether you do it or not in this instance is of little consequence. I'm sure you're just as willing as I am to let this go because it's not the cure for cancer nor the pinnacle of world peace.
    ~
      August 10, 2018 1:34 AM MDT

Randy... Am I smelling a bit of peanut butter on this question?
    This is a justice call.

You can't have one without the other.  One move will outweigh the other.  It's all in the order in which you move your facts.  

August 9, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

You have to choose. 
    ~
      August 10, 2018 1:43 AM MDT

I'm going to say the police are more important ... because they have to deal with the public on a daily basis, out in the community.  Both criminals and victims.
      August 9, 2018 10:51 AM MDT

not sure
      August 9, 2018 3:42 PM MDT