Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on this?

Pearl Jam released this poster at a recent concert drawing anger and sparking controversy. How do you feel about it? Is this acceptable no matter who’s president or just one someone doesn’t like?

Posted - August 17, 2018

Responses

I like this question because it is you who asked and I don't know the answer.  I do have my feelings about Pearl Jam's music but not their political stand. I"m not qualified to answer.  I didn't want you not to have anyone notice you asked.  
    I did!
    What do you think of the poster?
      August 17, 2018 8:25 PM MDT

I have been a faithful fan of their music for years while despising their politics. I’m ticked off with this poster. I find it wrong and indefensible. I would me equally outraged no matter what president it was done about and who did it. This coming from a band who preaches love, tolerance, and peace. Hypocrites they are. They lost a fan over this. This post was edited by Rizz at August 18, 2018 6:10 AM MDT
      August 17, 2018 8:31 PM MDT

I agree with your stance.  I do like their music and feel their talents exceed many of the others in today's music.  I also feel no matter how people perceive the government and our chosen "Commaner in Cheif, or "Leader of the Free World,"  WE, no matter who WE is, voted him in and WE, therefore need to take ownership to that vote.  We will not be as successful if we continue to devide by parties.  We all would like to have the benefits we have today living in the "Free World."  I think any and every one who hasn't been to a place where there aren't any toilets or bug spray, air conditioning, or even sleeping on the streets of L.A. is better than some of the terrible and corrupt government some people are forced  to succumb to.  
    I guess I did let a little out there as far as my views.  I don't pick parties.  I pick to party!  Just trying to lighten it up there. :)  I really do believe it would be best if we stop dissing each other and start figuring out how we can work together and enjoy this incredible country we live in.  It really IS and Really Does have everything.  Thank you for reading and listening. :) :)  Appreciation and Respect for one another and the ability to compromise some things and not others will make this work.  Don't just hear.  Listen.  Then think.  Then act, together. 
      August 17, 2018 8:54 PM MDT

Thanks for replying. 
      August 17, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

:) :). 
      August 17, 2018 8:40 PM MDT

I am not feeling "the love" in this promotion.  I think they could use their celebrityism sp? in a more positive way than exhibiting it as angry and frustrated. We already know that. 

Don't be part of the problem.  Be part of the solution.

That would have been a better message to send out. 
      August 17, 2018 8:58 PM MDT

• "It will never be in the Musee d'Orsay."

August 17, 2018 10:58 PM MDT

I suppose that could be the Obama White House that is burning. 
      August 18, 2018 3:47 AM MDT

I agree with many of the points people and you have said here. Pearl Jam's talent is stronger than the poster to me.
    But I also think that we, the public, sometimes want to demand that our favorite musicians/artists would just never mention any of their beliefs, while at the same time, we share our beliefs all the time. (And the argument about not sharing these thoughts/beliefs at work -- the NFL players/actors/musicians should keep their beliefs "off the playing field" --  the same should go for us yet I've heard many co-workers talk about politics. etc. at many of my jobs.)
    I also understand that when someone who is in the public eye chooses to share his/her/their beliefs/thoughts, they may have to face consequences when and how they do decide to share their political and/or other beliefs/thoughts. That goes for the current US President but he seems to me to constantly just say whatever/about whatever/to whomever, he wants to all the time; perhaps this poster is a small backlash at the President's mode of communication. (My opinion.)

Besides all that, "Jeremy" alone is WAY better than that poster.
    :)

Great question, Rizz.
    I doubt I answered your specific question. But I will also admit that I try to keep a certain respect for the Office of the President, regardless of who holds the Office. Sometimes it's difficult for me with the current President. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 18, 2018 12:00 PM MDT
      August 18, 2018 6:08 AM MDT

dont know what to think
      September 9, 2018 5:48 PM MDT