Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is there too much PC in the Bible? or just in America?

Is there too much PC in the Bible? or just in America?

Here the story of Balaams Ass/Donkey

Posted - September 3, 2018

Responses

"Politically correct" is an interesting term.
    In a neutral sense, it means only the correct policy (or language reflecting policy) for politicians or leaders to use - which means it can change depending on whatever goes down best in terms of maintaining power and influence under any given set of circumstances.
    Since the Old Testament is the story of the origins and development of the Jewish people, as written by the patriarchs according to the culture they wished to create, it cannot be anything other than "politically" correct for those patriarchs at that time.
    But in contemporary life in America, it tends to be conservatives who pejoratively refer to liberal values as "politically correct."
    Some conservatives in other Western democracies also use the term in the same way, but not nearly so often and not successfully.
      September 3, 2018 3:02 AM MDT

That is a subjective determination.

Perhaps it is “in places” for both examples, but in the Bible, the general theme is ”...or else!”. Not politically correct in sum.
    Consider that the Bible uses narratives and allegories that exhort murder, genocide, slavery, rape, homophobia, misogyny, fear of knowledge and shame of our thoughts, bodies and species. (In fairness, the Quran is even more grim)
    Political correctness is dubious in this literary landscape, as are the morals of the authors.

As I’ve seen it in America, PC is a communication tool, an increasing anomaly trotted out as is convenient to serve the message, typically at the expense of a hard truth; but easily abandoned to suit stronger intent. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 3, 2018 7:24 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 7:25 AM MDT

I was puzzled by the need for "In fairness, the Quran is even more grim" but then I read "PC is a communication tool, an increasing anomaly trotted out as is convenient to serve the message, typically at the expense of a hard truth" and that explains it pretty accurately, I'd say. Machiavelli would be proud. 
      September 29, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

The bible is never "PC".  God always tells it like it is. 

Please note that the video you show is NOT the entire story!  It's a "dumbed down" version.  Balaam was NOT a "good guy" (even though he pretended to be one).  He was a greedy person who'd do anything for money.
      September 3, 2018 9:24 AM MDT

The only writings directly attributable to God are The Ten Commandments.  The Bible was not written by God.  It was written by Man and it purports to interpret what the writer thought God meant or wanted.
      September 3, 2018 12:36 PM MDT

Yes, the bible was physically written down by humans.  However, their writing was directed by God (inspired).
      September 3, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

You're saying that God spoke to all of those people and inspired them to write what we now know as the Bible?  I'm no biblical scholar, but I thought the only person God spoke to was Moses and he did it under the guise of a burning bush.
      September 3, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

God the Father has spoken to much more than just Moses. 

Adam and Eve (Gen)
    Noah and his sons (Gen 6:13-21, 7:1-4, 8:15-17, 9:1-17)
    Job and his friends (Job 38:1-42:6)
    Jacob (Gen 28:13-15, 35:1,9-12)
    David (1 Sam 23:2, 23:4, 30:8, 2 Sam 2:1, 5:19, 5:23-24)
    Solomon (1 Kings 3:5-15)
    Elijah (1 Kings 19:9-18)
    Isaiah (2 Kings 20:4, Isaiah 6:8-12, 8:1-11)
    Jonah (Jonah 1:1-2, 3:1-2, 4:4, 4:9-11)
    Hosea (Hosea 1:2-5)
    Zechariah (Zec 1:1-17)
    Ezekial 

September 3, 2018 4:19 PM MDT

Doesn't it seem a bit suspicious that no further writings have been added to the Bible since what we refer to as "Biblical" times?  Did God stop talking to people?  Did people just stop writing it down?  Why does the Bible ho no further?

Add:  

Revelation 22 is the twenty-second (and the lastchapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John, and the final chapter of the New Testament and of the Christian Bible.   This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 3, 2018 7:23 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 6:18 PM MDT

No, God still talks (not audible but inside through the Holy Spirit) to His people. And people do still write it down. Visit the religious section in any book store or google some religious websites.
    It is not added to the Bible as it has all we need to know in it. Both the history and prophecies in it.
      September 3, 2018 7:01 PM MDT

In your assertion that "it has all we need to know in it" your "it" obviously refers to "the Bible" and I suppose "we" must refer to Christians. However, the Church of the LDS apparently doesn't agree with that assertion.
      September 29, 2018 8:16 PM MDT

I said God inspired them..  He does this through His Holy Spirit.

God spoke to Moses on the mountaintop as well.
    God spoke to many people in the Old Testament - verbally as well as through angels.

FYI - Moses wrote the first 4 books of the Old Testament as well as a few Psalms.
      September 3, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

FYI - it's now believed that Moses actually penned none of the FIVE books attributed to him (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), save for the Song of Miriam in Exodus. The Torah was not put into its final form until the Babylonian Exile, and from no fewer than four sources - the Jahwist, Elohist, Priests and a later Deuteronomic source. Neither did he write any Psalms (Psalm 90 was attributed to him but is no longer believed to be authentic Mosaic authorship either, the Hebrew idiom doesn't fit), none of those were penned earlier than the reigns of David and his son Solomon, they were completed by Solomon's scribe Asaph after his death. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at September 3, 2018 7:23 PM MDT
      September 3, 2018 6:11 PM MDT

Very interesting.  Thank you.
      September 3, 2018 6:21 PM MDT

Where did you hear this?
      September 3, 2018 10:01 PM MDT

Flinders U. While studying for my Theology degree.
      September 3, 2018 11:17 PM MDT

Not in The Bible.  Though I do think there can be too much Biblical correctness.  Like following all kinds of Old Testament dietary and cleanliness laws.  Like I'm more Biblically correct than you.  Or women who always cover their hair at services or in public. 
      September 4, 2018 5:44 AM MDT

As long as they are not judging others....we should not judge them for followimg what they feel the Bible has instructed them to do.

Food laws are for our health. Covering our heads is something the Bible says to do. I don't remember why at the moment. 
      September 4, 2018 6:20 AM MDT

You really don’t know why women are supposed to cover their head in church? 
    It’s for much the same reasoning as women forced to cover themselves head-to-toe in Islam: To keep women subservient to a traditionally paternalistic culture.
    1 Corinthians 11-6:  For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should hair cut her hair short, but since it is a disgrace (KJV uses “shame”) for a wife to cut her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. (English Standard Version) 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 4, 2018 6:57 AM MDT
      September 4, 2018 6:45 AM MDT

Maybe is just me but I don't see anything "subservient to a traditionally  paternalistic culture" in wearing hair covering! Like wearing a covering is "subservient" - don't see how you get to that!  I would say rather it was decreed to keep men from going crazy over our hair.  Like seeing our hair would get them up there and so they would forget about their regular duties and just think about being with us and not enough about worship.  Het well men are going to be men whatever whether "paternalistic" or "traditional" or not.  Just like we are going to be ourselves whatever.  Do you really imagine those Islamic wives are "subservient" all the time?  They had their say with their husbands and they have it good! Just like anywhere else.  Sorry  can't shame us by covering our hair  or shaving us having us serve you- really I like serving men when I can.  Have other things to do though. 

September 4, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

Then you are exactly where you ought to be. 
      September 4, 2018 7:19 AM MDT

Happy I made it there. 
      September 4, 2018 7:25 AM MDT

"It’s for much the same reasoning as women forced to cover themselves head-to-toe in Islam" >>>> It has to be true, because it's Islam explained by [schhh, you know who]
      September 29, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

How typical of you to show up four weeks late for the discussion to defend backward 7th century mythology.
    The analogy was defined clearly. Neither my fault nor my concern you lack the tools to understand it. Still. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 29, 2018 10:19 PM MDT
      September 29, 2018 9:08 PM MDT