Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Business » In your opinion, has “The customer’s always right” motto gone too far and how much is it abused?

In your opinion, has “The customer’s always right” motto gone too far and how much is it abused?

I‘ve witnesses several incidents at stores where the customer is way out of line, verbaly abusive, and hostile until a manager arrives. Then their stories change and they’re the victims. Every time the customer was catered to and given what they want. It irritates the dickens out of me. 

Posted - September 6, 2018

Responses

As a business owner, I can tell you "No the customer is not always right."

The trick is correct them without being rude so you don't loose a customer. 
      September 6, 2018 7:37 PM MDT

I agree. Thank you for responding. 
      September 6, 2018 7:41 PM MDT

I have always felt businesses need to support and back their employees when needed. If employees are mistreated they are disgruntled, angry, and bitter. This means a higher chance they will mistreat customers. It’s a tough balance to maintain, but must be done. 
      September 6, 2018 7:52 PM MDT

Definately, you cannot allow your employees to be abused. I have had customers do that with my children who help. I seen them behave one way with my kids and then switch when I came up to the front. 
    None abusive but they were trying hard to talk them into a discount, pointing out "flaws" in the product and trying say two products where sold as a set. 
    A happy employee makes for a better customer relationship.
      September 7, 2018 5:49 AM MDT

First one has to find out if there is a legitimate complaint with a product or service; check the evidence.
    If there is, it has to be dealt with honestly.
    In an honest situation, the customer's anger will disappear as soon as the problem has been fixed.

From time to time a customer may be a rage addict who takes out his or her frustrations on shop assistants,
    or might be drunk, on ice, or having a psychotic episode.
    There are proven strategies, like the broken record technique, for dealing with these types.
    Businesses need to train their staff in these techniques,
    but install safety barriers, cameras and call buttons for instant backup-up support from the manager or a security guard.

There is one type of customer who is a scammer.
    The kind who loudly sends back the food for some minor flaw 
    in the expectation of a free meal as compensation -
    blackmail against restaurants who fear the risk of a bad reputation.
    The cook and maitre dée need to make a public show of inspecting and tasting the food, and maybe bring in an objective third person.
    They should spread the customer's name and photo to other food outlets as warnings.
      September 6, 2018 7:54 PM MDT

Absolutely.
    Like any other category of human, a customer can be mistaken, misled, or purposely deceitful. Someone who presents as a customer may in fact be a thief or con artist. 

As a former business owner, I can tell you it is incumbent upon management and staff to stand up for the business, and each other, while doing the best to treat customers as fairly as possible. The goal is their satisfaction. 
    If unhappy customers cannot be satisfied, calmly express regret that this is so and move on. It’s a matter of professionalism. If merely unhappy escalates to unruly, they should be shown the door, by the police if necessary. It’s essential to maintain an environment that allows for other patrons to have a positive experience at your business. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 7, 2018 9:20 AM MDT
      September 6, 2018 8:59 PM MDT

I couldn’t agree more. I never understood why a business would let someone threaten employees, scream, and yell obscenities in front of other customers and children. I feel if I ran a business these people would be removed. I’m more worried about the satisfaction and experience of several customers over one obnoxious, loud mouthed, scumbag. This post was edited by Rizz at September 7, 2018 9:20 AM MDT
      September 7, 2018 5:52 AM MDT

In such an instance, other patrons present will understand and, more likely than not, be pleased that you took action to mitigate the distraction. 
      September 7, 2018 6:02 AM MDT

Well that is just a saying which means simply you cannot have a business without customers.  Of course if you are a business owner you want to cultivate customers so you advertise  that at least to make them feel they are right. Whether they are or not.  Everyone likes to feel they are right some of the time!

But yes I know what you mean and I think it is people are more rude than formerly. Some of the red tape in these places - I can see where they might drive people to distraction.  But stores are so much more permissive than they used to be - allowing all kinds of returns, allowing dogs and bicycles, etc.  Which seems to indicate to me at least that because of the net business is not so great. 
      September 7, 2018 6:24 AM MDT

Neither the customer nor the employee are always right.  Sometimes the customer just loses it on the phone with customer service even though the customer knows that customer service can't do anything about their company's stupidity.
      September 7, 2018 7:34 AM MDT

i think so
      September 7, 2018 11:52 AM MDT