Active Now

Urban Spaceman
Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » It all boils down to this. Do you PREFER listening to President Obama speak or super don? Which is easier to follow/comprehend/understand?

It all boils down to this. Do you PREFER listening to President Obama speak or super don? Which is easier to follow/comprehend/understand?

Posted - September 7, 2018

Responses

I am somewhat independent when it comes to politics.. but taking a step back.. to observe.. I observe that Obama delivers his words with style, authority AND humour.. He is an impressive speaker and comes across as sane, reasoning, reasonable and intelligent.. Needless to say, applying the same criteria to Trump the opposite, exactly, is true.. 

Indeed that's precisely the story of how I came to despise everything about Trump.. whenever he opens his revolting mouth, revolt-ment and idiot language come out.. THIS is why I hate him.. he talks and acts like an illiterate bully.. That's so not someone who should ever be even in the running, let alone elected. 
      September 7, 2018 1:58 PM MDT

He is an embarrassment. His vocabulary is grade-school level. If he is indeed the stable genius he tells us I wonder why it doesn't show?  I would mind the simplicity if the content were tolerable and coherent. It isn't. His entire government is working against him per the newest accusations. They don't follow his orders when they think the orders are wackadoodle. He doesn't seem to notice. I dunno Addb the whole thing smacks of our living a nightmare in the daytime. It is so surreal isn't it? Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
      September 8, 2018 2:18 AM MDT

Setting aside debate about content, Obama is a gifted public speaker, able to speak articulately and elegantly toward most any subject, with the ability to draw an audience along into the ebb and flow of his speeches. Few people, in any profession are his equal in this capacity. 

Trump is an off-putting, juvenile, delusional sideshow barker, whose middle school vocabulary, disconnected indifference to reality and unhinged fixation for talking about himself not only insults my intelligence, but makes him impossible to empathize with. I usually find it tiresome to endure Trump’s bumbling orations for very long. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 8, 2018 2:18 AM MDT
      September 7, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

Um---Ah---I can add nothing---you covered it completely and rather eloquently, I might add.

(The um and ah are inspired by further answers on the page.)

According to cable, Trump announced that he tried o listen to Obama's speech but didn't hear all of it because he fell asleep during it.

Reagan used to fall asleep during cabinet meetings---early Alzheimer's I presume.

And what is the attention span of that other golden-tinted animal, the gold fish?

The evidence is becoming overwhelming.... This post was edited by tom jackson at September 8, 2018 2:34 AM MDT
      September 7, 2018 4:47 PM MDT

Thanks Tom. I -uh- do strive for thoroughness.  

I find it hard to believe Trump tried to listen to Obama. I do get that it was probably past his bedtime though...

This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 7, 2018 6:55 PM MDT
      September 7, 2018 4:59 PM MDT

:):):)
      September 8, 2018 2:34 AM MDT

He keeps repeating the same things like a broken record DB. I have to mute him most of the time because I have heard it before. His audience seems to cheer joyfully with every word he speaks as if each word is precious and priceless and unique. I don't know what they hear but it surely is't what I hear. Did you happen to hear President Obama speak yesterday at the University of Illinois ?  Boy on boy it was splendidly spiffy if ya ask me. So nice to hear words used by an adult  in their proper setting.  I really didn't realize how much I had missed that. I think he is going to  be on the campaign trail working for Democratic candidates. An unusal thing for a former president to do but in these trying times I find it most welcome. I hope he keeps it up and keeps speaking. For that brief moment I felt comforted. Rare these days. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      September 8, 2018 2:23 AM MDT

I think it’s an ugly indictment of the mentality of the lemmings who happily swallow Trump’s obvious BS, Rosie. I agree with Obama’s sentiments the other night when he says this nation is in trouble. That mentality is largely why. 
      September 8, 2018 7:36 AM MDT

His speech only was listenend to by the choir DB. Sadly. The super don sez he fell asleep during it. I believe him. President Obama used big boy words that made sense. They were coherent. Super don is unfamiliar with such as that and so he got bored and slept. It certainly does not reflect well on him BUT it got the laugh from his  worshippers which is precisely what he was going for. We need President Obama to keep speaking out. Will it matter/help? I don't know but it sure as he** can't hurt! Thank you for your reply DB! :)
      September 8, 2018 8:42 AM MDT

I don’t like either man politically. I have no bias in this. Obama is an eloquent and articulate speaker. He grabs the attention of audiences and listeners. He captivates people. He is by far the superior speaker. I prefer not to listen to either, but if I’m forced to make a choice, it’s an easy one: Obama. 
      September 7, 2018 3:14 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Rizz and Happy Saturday. When  President Obama speaks I don't feel that he insulting my intelligence. With super don I just tune out because I've heard it before and I didn't like it the first time. :)
      September 8, 2018 2:24 AM MDT

I prefer President Trump. Probably because I agree with what I am hearing. 

I personally have never thought President Obama to be a gifted speaker. It has always made me wonder what people we hearing that I was not.  I actually think, it is that I hear all the "uhh and umms" that he does make when speaking and for some reason others do not or it does not effect their opinion of a speaker. 

This post was edited by my2cents at September 8, 2018 5:49 PM MDT
      September 7, 2018 3:57 PM MDT

tee hee keeping out of politics on this one.. but the Brits use um and er and similar..or did traditionally do so.. if you here a pol here I'd think it would be quite common to hear that.. (common as in usual.)  I always believed it was where the speaker is actively thinking about what he/she is saying and it gives them extra time.. thinking time... it slows down speech, it gives the impression the speaker is considering what he says carefully, rather than just blurting it out.. it's considered reasonably classy to do that.. lots of posh people do it for sure.. and it's relatively normal here to hear that, perhaps so much so that we don't even notice people doing it.. 
      September 7, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

Yes that is exactly what it is. But to me you cannot do that and be a "gifted", "articulate", "skilled orator", etc.

I took public speaking in  High School and we were taught not to do that. The best way is to know exactly what you want to say and how to say it. So in a prepared speech.....practice it and then practice it again. Until you know it and you are not pausing trying to remember your words and saying "uhhh" instead of a word. 
      September 7, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

September 8, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

Birds of a feather. 
      September 7, 2018 4:15 PM MDT

Thank You....we are talking about policy feathers, of course.
      September 7, 2018 4:22 PM MDT

That’s how I intended it. I wouldn’t demean you by comparing you to his character. 
      September 7, 2018 4:31 PM MDT

LOL! I love it. :)
      September 7, 2018 8:03 PM MDT

Never cared to listen to Obama speak. To me, he always sounds arrogant and condescending.  Also, without a teleprompter or cue cards in front of him, you'd be better off listening to a mime. I'd much rather listen to President Trump. He speaks the language of the people, not the language of a politician. Trump talks "to" the people like he cares. Obama talks "at" the people like he doesn't care.
      September 7, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

We must be hearing different Trumps. If his is “the language of the people”, then you are saying the people like to lie and be lied to. Strange analysis. 

It speaks volumes that you find intelligent speech condescending.
      September 7, 2018 8:53 PM MDT

September 8, 2018 2:25 AM MDT

Obama is a great orator, widely acknowledged as such long before he became President - a lawyer and community organuzer. Trump never had to do much of that as a businessman born with a golden spoon up his a$$ - so bombast and belittlement comes naturally to him. I'd rather listen to an articulate speaker than a rabble rouser.
      September 7, 2018 11:40 PM MDT

Me too Sbf. I just mute  super don because it's going to be some whiny complaint about something or someone or he will be on a rant with a vicious attack. Who needs it? But I have a serious question I"m gonna ask and though it is political it is not partisan. You'll recognize it when you see it. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      September 8, 2018 2:27 AM MDT