Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Zack
Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Why isn’t more done to add and provide adequate mental health treatment for the mentally ill here in America?

Why isn’t more done to add and provide adequate mental health treatment for the mentally ill here in America?

Posted - September 11, 2018

Responses

Because here in America, health care is an industry. Their purpose is to make money for share-holders. Mental health is often not covered by insurance companies, since they can't make a good profit.
      September 11, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

Sad but true. How infuriating we let greed take over compassion for the ill.  
      September 11, 2018 5:30 PM MDT

How many of your inmates would not be there had they received adequate mental health care?
      September 11, 2018 5:34 PM MDT

There’s no way to be able to reach an accurate percentage. We’d have Ron assume every mentally ill inmate would actually seek treatment, continue to take their medications, and continue treatment. It would be worth it to make mental health treatment more accessible and affordable. Sadly most mentally ill people can’t afford treatment.  
      September 11, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

Exactly...nor insurance that covers it.
      September 11, 2018 5:40 PM MDT

Fortunately mine covers it. It covers it well. A lot generic meds are $5 for one month and $10 for three months. This includes several mental health medications. Stays at psychiatric hospitals and units are treated as and covered like hospital stays as if they are for physical health issues.
      September 11, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

My medicare supplemental, Tri-Care, cover everything. That's what I get for spending 20 years in the Navy.
      September 11, 2018 5:46 PM MDT

Anyone currently serving, retired from, or disabled because of service shouldn’t have to pay a cent for healthcare. 
      September 11, 2018 5:48 PM MDT

No idea.
    Spending more money on mental health would reduce and prevent crimes, family violence, suicides, self-harm and all the ripple effects among families and friends who have to cope. It would reduce the numbers in prisons and save the state millions.
    It would also enable more people to get into and stay in work, and they would pay taxes and hence repay the money spent on their mental health.

September 11, 2018 6:15 PM MDT

probably nnoney
      September 12, 2018 10:40 AM MDT

That's a great plan.  Even if the meds are not generic, I'm guessing they don't cost as much as it would for someone who has no coverage.  The med I take has no generic and costs about $500 a month in the US.  Now I order it from a Canadian pharmacy and it's $365 for three months. 
      September 12, 2018 1:23 PM MDT