Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Why do some members here have their profile set to Private?

Why do some members here have their profile set to Private?

What is the purpose of a private profile? I am not too active here, but when I do come on I would like to see some of the questions and answers from certain members, especially when I share some of the same views. It doesn't make much sense to me for someone to join a public site and then hide their content...makes it seem like more of a club then a Q&A site

Posted - September 13, 2018

Responses

Stalkers? I hear that there's one guy here who has a LOT of restraining orders out against him. ;-)

I don't think I've ever noticed private profiles. Is mine private?

September 13, 2018 8:08 PM MDT

Hello there SavvyAnsley
    I just checked and No, your profile is not private..
    Can it really be a case of stalking on a public site, I can understand people being concerned about harassment, but if that is the case the administrator should have recourse for that..
    My view is this: If you put yourself out on a public forum, then your content should be public, otherwise you should just start a private blog where you can keep it private and limited...
    Thank You for your answer

September 13, 2018 8:29 PM MDT

Oh, good. I've nothing to hide from a bunch of strangers. :)

I wouldn't worry about stalkers here, that was just a joke. (Randy D always posts about having restraining orders against him). 
    I am certain that Just Asking would eject anyone who stalked and harassed another member. I was on a now-defunct site where that happened frequently, so maybe people are legitimately concerned? I don't know. Maybe someone with a private profile will answer. 
      September 13, 2018 8:38 PM MDT

AB???...I was there also, 
    I am hoping someone who does...will...
      September 13, 2018 8:43 PM MDT

No, it was called EP (Experience Project). It began as a sort of online support group for people with MS, and devolved into a complete sh*t show. One member was actually killed by someone she met there. 

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/08/10/in-ohio-womans-murder-suspects-wife-says-theres-more-to-the-story/
      September 16, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

LOL, those restraining orders are mere nuisances frivolously dangled in front of me as part of one woman's warped sense of humor in her bid to catch me in her flytrap. She wants me badly, so she pretends to play hard-to-get so that I look like the aggressor. It's all harmless fun, a subtle dance of cat and mouse.

September 13, 2018 10:57 PM MDT

It's your story, Randy. Tell it however you wish. 
      September 16, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

You're not the first person who has asked that question. I accept that everyone has his or her own reasons for personal decisions like that one, and like you, it baffles me a little bit also. Meh, to each his or her own.

~
      September 13, 2018 10:51 PM MDT

Your profile looks great designer.
    Just Asking runs a really fun site with lots of great people.  Randy D is harmless.  He is just full of himself in a fun way.  If you go to his profile, you will see.  He has gained a reputation for being a grammar, spelling, english-major Nazi.  He really means no harm. He just can't help himself.  I'm surprised he can take all the wrath we give him.  He's a great sport and person. 
    I love it here. I've made great friends.  There is playfulness so things don't get too serious, yet seriousness when and if you need something.  It all balances.
    I think my profile might be private.  I set it that way because I like to be incognito. I've had some interesting people I've met on other sites I would prefer not knowing it is me.
    I appreciate the privacy option for that reason.  I have NEVER had a problem with answerMug or the people here.  The people here are GREAT with respect and fun all combined. 
    Some other places aren't as well-mannered and the people that hang-out there are not as mature. That's not age inclusive. :)   It's all personal preference.  My preference is here. That's all.  :) :)  Hope to see you soon on another question. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 14, 2018 6:32 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 2:22 AM MDT

Grrrrrrrrr. (english English)
      September 14, 2018 6:07 AM MDT

I knew it! Grrrr back at me from me!!! I had it that way to begin with and went back and changed it.  I didn't catch the  "are as mature" mistake.  It should read, "are NOT as mature."  Ugh!!
    Hi Randy!!!  Big smiles!! This post was edited by Merlin at September 14, 2018 9:06 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 5:58 PM MDT

Hello Merlin.
    Thank you for your answer. I understand your reasons for a private profile...
    When AB shut down I came here and was very active for awhile...It was great to see so many familiar names here, after some time most of them left..as did I..after a year or so I decided to check back in and as you said, the people here seem very friendly and welcoming.
    I look forward to getting to know everyone
    Have a wonderful day Merlin
      September 14, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

Thanks!  You too!  :) :)  See you there!! This post was edited by Merlin at September 14, 2018 9:06 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 6:00 PM MDT

Privacy.  If you would like to get to know someone better who not ask them to be a "friend" and then correspond privately with them?  That does not seem to be very popular on here but is and has been on other sites. 
      September 14, 2018 5:45 AM MDT

cause they dont want anyone to see it
      September 14, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

Maybe they're in a witness protection program...
      September 14, 2018 6:31 PM MDT