Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » How many of those who label themselves "liberal" are true liberals?

How many of those who label themselves "liberal" are true liberals?

Posted - September 26, 2018

Responses

• So conservatives don't have that burden? They're immune from having to "entertain and synthesize differing opinions"?

You seem pretty keen on lambasting people you perceive as "liberals". Where is your penchant for entertaining and synthesizing differing opinions? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 26, 2018 8:21 PM MDT
      September 26, 2018 10:50 AM MDT

Conservatives have their own burdens to live up to if they so choose.  I was a liberal all my life until 15 years ago and proud of the historical liberal heritage which I grew up with.  What happened is liberalism as it came to be construed got so far out and outrageous and so removed from practical wisdom that I found my traditional liberal values were more  honored, cherished, and protected by conservatives!   So now I am, with no change in values, thought of as a conservative.  
      September 26, 2018 11:22 AM MDT

• That's why I hate the labels. If I give myself a label, then people automatically assume that I'm completely dedicated to one side (along with a bunch of other things they will assume about me, many of them probably false). I can only state my positions and others can then try and put a proper label on it, if they wish. 
      September 26, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

have no idea
      September 26, 2018 3:46 PM MDT