Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » We are a society that either glorifies or ignores teenage drinking and teenage sexual activity, until or unless it backfires on us.

We are a society that either glorifies or ignores teenage drinking and teenage sexual activity, until or unless it backfires on us.

Is that a pretty fair summation of ONE* aspect of the controversy over confirming Brett Kavanaughty for Supreme Court Justice?

*I acknowledge that it's neither the entire issue nor the most important issue. 

Posted - September 29, 2018

Responses

That has not been my experience.
      September 29, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

Which, teenage drinking, the ignoring, the glorifying, the controversy, the confirmation, the acknowledgement, the court?  Be specific for once in your life, Woman!
    Grrrrr. 
    --
      September 29, 2018 5:16 PM MDT

That it a fair summation. That, I believe, was your question.
      September 30, 2018 3:45 AM MDT

thats true
      September 29, 2018 5:03 PM MDT

No.  The whole thing is politics....the nastiest of.
      September 29, 2018 8:32 PM MDT

Very true. That is what it really is about. 
      September 30, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

The whole society on teenage drinking - ignores or glorifies, no. One has only to see the negative press on teenage drinking and drug problems.
    The whole society on teenage sexual activity - glorifies, yes, in film and TV series, a major topic of drama and romance. Ignores - not exactly -medicos are prepared to help with contraceptives, social services try to help deal with unwanted pregnancies, hospitals and therapists try to deal with the effects of rape and violence - but there's relatively little media attention to it (compared to the seriousness of the consequences) because it's so commonplace.

I place the blame on parents. The social gatherings of teenagers should never be left unchaperoned.
    Teenage drinking needs to be more carefully thought through, and possibly stricter legislation considered.

https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/alcohol/understanding-affects-on-body.html

https://www.chooseresponsibility.org/article/view/15556/1/2649
      September 29, 2018 11:01 PM MDT

I'm sorry but I don't see that as a society we glorify it or ignore it.  Perhaps the teenagers themselves "glorify" it so it becomes something desirable to them.  When I was a teenager those , plus drugs, were the only things which made me feel good about myself.  Which was all I wanted to do.  But of course was unaware of the consequences.  People don't so much ignore it now I think but rather just live with it because it happens. 

Don't know much about the case but thought it had to do with alleged sexual abuse. 
      September 30, 2018 6:26 AM MDT

This country has a culture that glorifies underage drinking, since I can remember this has been the case. It is known that many 
    parents of underage drinkers will themselves purchase the alcohol. The universities know all too well that drinking goes on In fraternity and sorority houses right under their noses, and yet they turn a blind eye to these activities. What an embarrassment!
      October 1, 2018 11:41 PM MDT