Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » If I were blind, I believe I'd still want to be able to read. Do you think Braille has any grammatical errors? ~

If I were blind, I believe I'd still want to be able to read. Do you think Braille has any grammatical errors? ~

Posted - September 30, 2018

Responses

probably
      September 30, 2018 3:34 PM MDT

⠽⠑⠎⠀⠭⠀⠙
      September 30, 2018 3:38 PM MDT

If there was ,they would be hard for yew too spot......:)D 
      September 30, 2018 3:47 PM MDT

Dot makes good sense.
      September 30, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

Do you think he could play ,join the dots then....:( 
      September 30, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Plus they'd send you dotty looking for them.... :(
      September 30, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

The other question is..."do they use tildes?"
      September 30, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

Grammar is not affected by Braille.
    One could make exactly the same errors of syntax in Braille because the rules pertain to the language, not to the lettering in which it is coded.
    Braille could be said to have a different way of spelling in the sense that its letters are not like our alphabet but phonemes for the sounds of the words.
    The most recent international version of Braille has standardized symbols, and punctuation, to more closely align the print conventions for things such as brackets, and mathematical notation.
    The punctuation protocols could have affected grammar to some degree in the past, but the main issue appears to have been a desire between British and American academics to standardize the presentation of research papers. This post was edited by inky at October 1, 2018 6:02 AM MDT
      September 30, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

So it's utterly and entirely impossible for a person to write in Braille, "i don't got no time to go too the stroe"?

~
      September 30, 2018 9:16 PM MDT

As an example, "i don't got no time to go too the stroe" is too complex for a simple answer.

Braille does not have a separate alphabet of capital letters. Instead, capitals are indicated by placing a dot 6 in front of the letter to be capitalized. A full-stop or period is written with dots 2, 5, and 6.

The homonyms "to" and "too" would be spelled exactly the same in Braille, but would not be grammatically incorrect because the meaning would be clearly understood from the context.

Let's assume that the double negative "don't got no" is intended by the writer to mean a simple negative and that the correct way of saying it would be "have no" or "don't have." In this case, a person writing Braille would be making the same kind of grammatic mistake as is common in speech, print or handwriting.

In other words, one can write grammatically in Braille, or not; the mere fact of using Braille has no effect on the correctness of grammar.

This post was edited by inky at October 1, 2018 6:19 AM MDT
      September 30, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

Thank you.
      ~
      October 1, 2018 6:19 AM MDT