Active Now

Slartibartfast
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Similar to humankind, do wild animals have any self-imposed morals (or expectations of morality)? If so, what are some examples, please? ~

Similar to humankind, do wild animals have any self-imposed morals (or expectations of morality)? If so, what are some examples, please? ~

Posted - October 1, 2018

Responses

They must, based on their recorded behavior:  Animals being kind to one another playing with each other, even it they are from different classifications. A gorilla protecting a small boy who fell in the area at the zoo.  Dolphins who rescue humans at sea.  I think all animals exhibit the capacity for moral thought and behavior.  
      October 1, 2018 7:01 AM MDT

I've watched both of them ,plus a huge brown Bear scoping a blackbird that had fallen into water....it got it out abd wait her for it to recover....:) 
      October 1, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

Thank you. In your last sentence, you used the word "all".  I find that interesting, thought-provoking. 
    ~
      October 1, 2018 3:27 PM MDT

Some species definitely do. I'm not sure that it's self-imposed or simply their innate nature. Perhaps a combination of the two, as it seems to be in humans? I don't believe that another species has anywhere near the capacity for immoral/amoral/cruel behavior as humans do. 

The Masserman experiment with rhesus monkeys is a great example. Hungry monkeys refused to pull a chain to release food when they were shown that doing so would cause another monkey pain (via electrocution). The majority chose to go hungry rather than to inflict pain on another monkey. 

This article about it is pretty interesting; it compares the Masserman monkeys to the Milgram experiment in humans. 

https://thedoctorweighsin.com/who-is-the-fairest-of-them-all-you-be-the-judge/
      October 1, 2018 8:25 AM MDT

D:
    That's horrible. I wasn't familiar with the Masserman monkeys until now. I think the mere fact that the test existed says something about human morals. 
      October 1, 2018 10:14 AM MDT

It is horrible. 

Worse things than that happen to countless animals every day in the name of "science". :(

I think world-wide, it's millions of women who take the hormone replacement Premarin every day. In order to make that drug, hundreds of thousands of mares are impregnated each year, and then kept tied in small stalls, deliberately dehydrated in order to make the estrogen more concentrated, bags strapped to them to collect their urine. Their babies are thought of as byproducts and are slaughtered. This is these horses entire existence. Heartbreaking!

Thankfully, their are humane options for menopausal women in need of hormone replacement. I'm glad I learned this about Premarin, because in all likelihood, my time for needing an estrogen boost is just around the corner. :|
      October 3, 2018 8:55 PM MDT

i would hope so
      October 1, 2018 10:47 AM MDT

I knew a huge Rotti that understood when its owner who she lived with had a stroke....She was the gentlest dog I've ever seen....She was a real soppy date...lol 
      October 1, 2018 12:17 PM MDT

That's an example of empathy, not of morals. 
    ~
      October 1, 2018 3:38 PM MDT

First I have to tolerate you dissing your betters every day it feels..... and now you've found another means off harassing me....
    You just had to spoil my Nice story....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Any more of this and I'm going to tell you're mummy   :(D
      October 1, 2018 3:45 PM MDT