Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Can intellectuals immediately detect cheap-shot emotions with no basis in reality?

Can intellectuals immediately detect cheap-shot emotions with no basis in reality?

Posted - October 8, 2018

Responses

Are the intellects detecting the cheap-shots emotions not having a basis of reality on their behalf?
      Or, are the intellectuals detecting cheat-shot emotion with no basis on the cheap-shot reality stance?
    That within itself is an interesting question.

I would tend to lean toward your brilliance CosmicWunderKund.
    However you perceive intellects and their subordinates will answer both of those. 
    It is all in perception, my dear friend.  
    You are wonderful in bringing us back to the ultimate question....

Is your "real" and my "real" the same?...
      What is real? 
      October 8, 2018 2:55 AM MDT

• Wooow!
      October 8, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

Just bouncing the ball back to you!
    What is real?  
    Hugs and loves!
      October 9, 2018 1:51 AM MDT

Thanks Cosmic for the AP!  Happy! Happy!
      October 12, 2018 9:02 AM MDT
  • D&D

I'm a bit dull right now. Are you trying to say that wise people do take note of people's emotional reflexes or outbursts?
      October 8, 2018 5:59 AM MDT

If you mean someone who flys all the time for work then claims to have a great fear of flying and only got on the plane when friends coaxed her:  Yes, that is a cheap-shot emotion with no basis in reality. 
      October 8, 2018 6:23 AM MDT

Not being an "intellectual" I would only be able to speculate.  Do you even know any intellectuals. Some I would guess would have no interest in emotional content at all as being beneath them. Some more susceptible to emotions would think more critically and they might have developed a scale of genuineness for emotional content.  Certainly emotions can be faked but genuine emotional reactions would have to come from some place within a person - but where they come from may not be from what they claim it to be but from something else.  I don't know - probably very much tied into what people want to hear or not. When I grew up you did not reveal your emotions publicly - it was not done because it was assumed they were too private for public consumption.  Later that changed and it became more popular to show emotion and if you did you were thought to be more feeling and caring.  But we can become sick and tired of anything - and too much is too much.  But if someone thinks or feels being more emotional will serve to get them or their points across who am I to stop them from doing so?   I might not buy into it - probably will not because I grew up with a different way of thinking.  But who knows but many people will. 
      October 8, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

nnaybe
      October 8, 2018 12:51 PM MDT

• I don't know about "immediately", but I would imagine they can detect  them more readily. That said, intellectuals are not exempt from emotional responses. 
      October 8, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

Most intellectuals have as much emotion and capacity for empathy as anyone else, and yes, they can smell a rat just as easily.

It's a myth that intellectuals are cut off from their emotions,
    and another myth that thinking prevents feeling.

The myth is largely created by all the mad professor and rarefied boffin characters so prevalent and popular in film.
    Pop fiction writers love to use them as plot devices, but these portrayals have as much similarity to real-life intellectuals as Dr. Who has to Einstein.

This post was edited by inky at October 11, 2018 10:08 PM MDT
      October 9, 2018 1:46 AM MDT

I like your train of thought, as always.  Big smiles!

October 9, 2018 2:06 AM MDT

Thank you! :)

And I, yours.

Your posts warm my heart.
    Even your magician's hat triggers a smile.
      October 12, 2018 7:56 PM MDT