Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Sports » Is it possible that those who do not like sports are those who never played them?

Is it possible that those who do not like sports are those who never played them?

Posted - October 13, 2018

Responses

Very possible. My mom hates sports and never played one.  This post was edited by Rizz at October 14, 2018 6:56 PM MDT
      October 13, 2018 7:20 PM MDT

I changed my question slightly.
      October 13, 2018 7:30 PM MDT

• Where's your other "who?"
      October 13, 2018 10:05 PM MDT

Repaired. Thanks.
      October 14, 2018 7:05 AM MDT

• Sorry, I lost my head for a second ... I think Randy put something in the break room donuts!
      October 14, 2018 7:12 AM MDT

Foul, I say, FOUL!  I resent the very implication that I would commit such a dastardly and underhanded act, and I am deeply insulted that my name has been dragged into this sordid affair!  I demand satis . . . what do you mean there's footage on the security cameras clearly showing me sprinkling Grammar-Dust on the doughnuts?  

Oh.  I see. Hmmmm, this is awkward.  Well, in that case, I plead the fifth and yet not gittin' nuttin' else outta me 'til i talk ta my mouthpiece ya lousy screws!  Grrrrr. 
    ~
      October 14, 2018 9:08 AM MDT

• "Anything's possible!"  I've played baseball and basketball. Fun to play, boring to watch! I like watching hockey, but never played it and don't understand the rules at all!
      October 13, 2018 10:10 PM MDT

I can't follow the puck.
      October 14, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

• Me either, at least not on TV anyway!  I've never been to a game, but I had a good friend that was willing to take me.  It just never happened ... sigh.
      October 14, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

I'm one of those people who hates sports.  It's not because I never played sports, it's simply because I don't find them fun or enjoyable.  
      October 13, 2018 10:20 PM MDT

That could be one category of people who don't like sports, but I'm sure there are others.

I'm the category that can't see what is so fascinating about chasing a ball around a field and quite possibly getting injured in the process.

No one taught me the micro-skills of how to throw and catch a ball.
    I presume that my parents, who were anti-sport, believed that such skills were unnecessary.
    By primary school entry level at age 5, all the other kids could throw and catch (some game similar to baseball).
    I couldn't, so I was ridiculed and ostracised. The few times I did catch, my hands were badly bruised.
    I became frightened of catching and put myself in positions (left far field) where the ball was least likely to fly.
    At secondary level, a girl's only boarding school, most of the girls had brothers and had grown up in rough and tumble with them - they had great sports skills.
    Sport wasn't optional: the price of refusal was odious chores that ate into the time needed for academic work (which I loved). So once again I positioned myself in the far left, and pretty soon the mistresses realized that this was the position where I'd do least harm to the team with my incompetence. We played cricket and tennis in summer, and hockey and basketball in winter. I never fully understood the score systems or rules.
    For me, sport is associated with social rejection.

Perhaps that why I also hate competition.
    I hate the fact that whenever someone or some group wins, the other 50% or more must lose.

This post was edited by inky at October 15, 2018 8:30 PM MDT
      October 13, 2018 10:26 PM MDT

Sure.  I doubt my mother has ever watched a ballgame.  She never even watched my girls play softball and volleyball.  She never went to a game when I was a cheerleader.  I love sports but never played officially on a team.  I played on Sunday afternoons neighborhood football until I was sixteen and mother made me stop. 
      October 13, 2018 11:34 PM MDT

The opposite is also possible. 
    ~
      October 14, 2018 5:51 AM MDT

I never thought of that.
      October 14, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

I don't like sports but I've given them a try. I'm just not athletic. I'm small, weak, and slow. I have good aim though...that's pretty much it in that department.
      October 14, 2018 6:00 AM MDT

I understand and enjoy playing sports; I've just never understood the point of watching strangers play them.
      October 14, 2018 6:57 AM MDT

I root for the Adelaide Crows, but I never played Australian football - too small and too slow. I'm an umpire at amateur league level, not a player.
    I did play a little rugby, that's a different sport.
      October 14, 2018 7:36 AM MDT

I think the first condition you cite is a primary reason for the second. But not the only possible reason. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 14, 2018 2:16 PM MDT
      October 14, 2018 7:51 AM MDT

I played several sports when I was in school, but have no desire to watch any sports on TV or even at a game.  Years ago, someone took me to a ballgame at Shea Stadium.  I was sitting behind a guy who was huge and stood up through half the game - I couldn't see a thing.  Went to a Yankee game at the old Yankee Stadium and had absolutely no interest.  It just seems as though these are games that are played as a kid - making it an adult sport with millions of dollars involved and tickets that cost a week's salary is like the players never grew up.
      October 14, 2018 1:42 PM MDT

i think its very possible since inn one of thenn
      October 14, 2018 2:43 PM MDT

Very possible. 
      October 14, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Given that every public school requires some type of PE class ... I highly doubt it.

I don't know anybody who "hates" sports - but I know quite a few people who don't really care either way about the "major" sports.
    All of those people played sports in school (at least, as I said, in PE class).
      October 15, 2018 11:53 AM MDT