Active Now

my2cents
Zack
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Stephen Hawking feared that a race of superhumans who could manipulate their own DNA will eventually conquer the world. WHAT?

Stephen Hawking feared that a race of superhumans who could manipulate their own DNA will eventually conquer the world. WHAT?

D'ya think it's possible or that Dr. Hawking veered off into a "different" world at the end of his life? I know he was brilliant but was he also a little "nuts"?

Posted - October 15, 2018

Responses

It's all one uncontrolled experiment. 
      October 15, 2018 12:29 PM MDT

Okey m'dear. But you know what's coming right? Questions of course! WHO is doing the experimenting? WHAT is the goal? WHEN will these superduper folks be here? I just visualize a bunch of mad scientists screwing around with our DNA for ignoble purposes. I mean how can such people be completely benigh if they can outsmart us and are stronger than we are? Thank you for your reply Malizz and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 16, 2018 2:36 AM MDT

I’m sad to say it’s a possibility. I’m not for any genetic altering for ay reason. This could lead to predictable and unforeseen problems. 
      October 15, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

Something else to worry about we don't need! I had read elsewhere awhile ago that it would be superbugs that would be our undoing. I guess bugs are becoming so resilient they can't be killed or controlled by vaccines. That's why the flu vaccines are  so tricky. The flu keeps morphing from one thing to another thing and the vaccines are always behind not ahead of them. How long it will take I don't know but maybe the super humans will figure a way to take out the superbugs? I"m gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Rizz and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 16, 2018 2:50 AM MDT

There were other scientists who stepped out their realm and made predictions and statements concerning other subjects. An example is Einstein saying that if all the bees disappeared the human race would die off in a few years. Hawking's prediction may not be such a bad idea. (IMO)
      October 15, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

The bees are disappearing, 99.
    Just perused a recent report on a German study that indicated a massive decrease of flying insects and Arthropods worldwide. Up to 75% in the last 27years. There has also been a detectable loss in life forms (like frogs and bird species) that feed on them. The earth’s ecological food chain is being destroyed from the bottom up. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 16, 2018 2:42 AM MDT
      October 15, 2018 7:14 PM MDT

I haven't seen a honey bee in three years, but i have had an underground  bumble bee nest in my back yard for two years. Nature catches up. This post was edited by Element 99 at October 16, 2018 6:50 AM MDT
      October 15, 2018 10:09 PM MDT

:):):)
      October 16, 2018 2:41 AM MDT

:):):)
      October 16, 2018 2:42 AM MDT

Odd you should say that.They just showed a news segment on CBS about an hour ago saying what you said.
      October 16, 2018 6:53 AM MDT

Scary stuff. 
    There are just so many symptoms of (our) negative effects on the natural world, it can’t be overstated how ominous things are getting. 
    This is what bothers me most about myopic morons like Trump and other science-ignorant troglodytes who won’t bother to even acknowledge the problems that are staring down the barrel at us. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 16, 2018 11:19 AM MDT
      October 16, 2018 7:22 AM MDT

So  our extinction is already happening then Ele? Bees are disappearing aren't they? The entire ecological balance depends on them? I wonder how long it will take for that eventuality to occur? What would it take for bee population to explode and grow huge? SIGH. Time will tell I guess. Do we know how much of that we have left? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 16, 2018 2:45 AM MDT

Hawking suggested the possibility based on the exponential growth of DNA science in the last years of his life. It is but a matter of time until someone, perhaps a rogue scientist or nation, begins to apply DNA manipulation to viable human eggs or embryos, if it isn’t already ongoing. Perhaps in the name of preventing disease, or extending life, or emphasizing preferred physical traits. Regardless, it looms before us. 

Now think of what the improved ”models” of genetically modified superhumans will think of their weaker predecessors. Keeping consistent with nature - survival of the fittest; and human nature in particular - to the victor go the spoils; and given the increasingly limited resources available to support the population, why wouldn’t they seek to cull the herd of lesser humans in preference to proliferating their own kind?

Still sound nuts?  This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 16, 2018 2:37 AM MDT
      October 15, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

I dunno DB. It's way too scary a what if for me to process. Humans have been around for a bazillion years and how have WE improved? Not by evolution so by manipulation and to what end? Could such superduper folks possibly be beneficent and kind? When they are stronger and smarter than the rest of us how would they use that? To benefit them or benefit mankind? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      October 16, 2018 2:39 AM MDT

havent heard of that
      October 19, 2018 3:51 PM MDT