Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Legal » What more could or should be done about criminal organizations constructing tunnels into the US from Mexico? ~

What more could or should be done about criminal organizations constructing tunnels into the US from Mexico? ~

Posted - October 15, 2018

Responses

More effort to find them using ground radar then destroying them and pumping them full of concrete.
      October 16, 2018 6:42 AM MDT

Concrete?

Nah.  Just use seawater.
    Of course, I guess they could still scuba through.  

Maybe fill 'em with aggressive, poisonous critters.

Or fill 'em with traps ... like an Indiana Jones obstacle course.

October 16, 2018 8:09 AM MDT

I said concrete because that is actually what we do when we find and destroy one of the tunnels. 
      October 16, 2018 10:11 AM MDT

I know.
    It just seems so ... boring.

OH!  I got it!
    Take the radioactive waste from the tunnels at Hanford, and use that along with the cement.
    Sort of like the solution McArthur proposed to keep the Chinese out of Korea.

Solve two problems at the same time.

October 16, 2018 10:14 AM MDT

Build the 'wall' underground.
      October 16, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

not sure what they could do about it
      October 16, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

I think we're handling policy the wrong way. The tunnels exist to smuggle people and drugs. Know what happened when states made a move to legalize marijuana? Those in Mexico making a living off growing it and transporting weed changed to poppies/ opiates/ heroin. 

The US likes to rule by force, which I get to some degree, but it doesn't work in a lot of cases. Has anyone in the history of man ever said, "No drugs for me, thanks! Those are illegal."? (I totally checked a style guide on the placement of that question mark. It pains me.)

No. It doesn't work that way. Laws rarely prevent crimes from happening. They just give us the means to punish the perps. Meh. I think if we're worried about the tunnels, we should eliminate the "need" for them.
    • Decriminalize drugs. Put the money spent on enforcement into education and treatment.
    • Create better immigration policies that give people a straightforward pathway.
    • Support our neighbors. When our neighbors are prosperous, fewer will want to come here and there will be less crime.
      October 16, 2018 9:51 AM MDT

There is a growing ... slow, but growing ... movement to change from punishment to treatment for drugs.
    It is more cost effective and there is less recidivism.  But it doesn't have the "glamour" of punishment, especially for "get tough" DAs and Judges.

The problem with "support our neighbors" is that so many of their governments are so corrupt ... it would be far simpler for us to invade the countries and rebuild them from scratch.  
      October 16, 2018 10:01 AM MDT

Need a deeper wall, or borrow some of Israel's armaments. 
      October 16, 2018 10:53 AM MDT