Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » Has anyone ever asked to temporarily store their stuff at your place and then left it there? How did you deal with the situation?

Has anyone ever asked to temporarily store their stuff at your place and then left it there? How did you deal with the situation?

Posted - October 16, 2018

Responses

No, never.  I would most likely suggest one of those storage rentals.  
      October 17, 2018 12:28 AM MDT

Thrifty Maid, would you be a dear and please let me store a large amount of boxed items at your place on a temporary basis (the actual amount of time undetermined at press time)?  Please don't open any of them, and pay no attention to any references to tildes on the labels or invoices. It might be that I just happened to have a whole bunch of empty tilde boxes piling up in my garage and I used them to store other stuff, who knows?  So whatever you do, please don't open any of the boxes, and don't be curious as to whether or not they contain thousands of valuable tildes. 

~
      October 19, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

For over five years, I've had a satellite TV dish thingamajig on the roof of my rear patio that my wife's elderly aunt asked us to hold onto for her. It's not hooked up to anything, it just gives the appearance that we have that service. I can't even remember how or why Aunt S. had it, because she didn't have the service either. Anyway, she's now on poor health and probably doesn't have too many more years among the living; the satelite dish is the least of her concerns. 
    ~
      October 17, 2018 5:56 AM MDT

I note the use of the word "had."
    How did you negotiate with her for permission to get rid of it?
    And who paid the costs for removal?

(I'm trying to figure out how to ask a friend to empty a container load of stuff. She lives 2,409 k's away and lives on a limited income from part-time low-paid work. I don't want to risk damaging the friendship.)
      October 19, 2018 1:54 PM MDT

Aunt S. asked us to take it off of her hands because she lives in an efficiency apartment for senior citizens with very little space. It was in her way, and her son (who lives in another city 4 hours from here) had always told her that he would take care of it. There were no "costs" involved; I just picked it up and carted it off myself. 
      Originally, it was supposed to be temporary, but I'm sure she's forgotten about it by now. Even for me, it's one of those out of sight, out of mind sort of things. I hardly think about it at all, and in fact, I almost didn't answer your question because at first I thought I had nothing to contribute. 
    ~

October 19, 2018 4:11 PM MDT

Glad it hasn't caused you any hassles. :)
      October 20, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

Yes...my stepdaughter. When she moved out she left a bunch of her junk at our place. Then she brought over a bunch of baby clothes that belong to her friend. It's all piled up in the basement, which we don't use anyway.
      October 17, 2018 7:12 AM MDT

How long ago did she move out, and has there been any discussion about when she might retrieve the items?
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at October 17, 2018 8:46 PM MDT
      October 17, 2018 7:21 AM MDT

Six years ago. She is quite lazy. If I try to discuss it with my wife, she takes it very personally as she raised her daughter to be a spoiled brat. I am used to it, though.
      October 17, 2018 8:00 AM MDT

It sounds like it bothers you a little, but not enough to push the issue with your wife. Is that right?
      October 19, 2018 1:56 PM MDT

Wow, spoken like a true novice as to what married men go through. He doesn't want to stick his head into that lion's mouth, Nom de Plume. 

~
      October 19, 2018 5:17 PM MDT

Probably yes, Randy.

I've never wanted to be so harsh that my husband would be afraid to raise an issue with me. And vice versa.

October 20, 2018 6:49 PM MDT

no but if they did i would call thenn and ask thenn to pick it up
      October 17, 2018 9:54 AM MDT

Sounds like you're really good at asserting your needs. :)
      October 19, 2018 1:57 PM MDT

Yep.
    I put it in a storage locker ... paid 3 months for it ... and told them they could get it out before that deadline.
    Even though I gave them the lock combination, the asshats busted the lock.  
      October 17, 2018 11:00 AM MDT

Wow! I think that's an interesting solution - it sounds like a lot of work and expense on your part.
    The pettiness of not using the combination! It sounds like they had no appreciation for your generosity.
    The several answers I've had here have left me with the strong impression that, in general, it's imprudent to let others use one's place for storage.
    Thank you, Walt.
      October 19, 2018 2:01 PM MDT

Yes ... especially if they don't live there.
    In any case, you should at least have a written contract.
    Many states, if you allow someone to live with you (or store their stuff there), you fall under the "landlord/tenant" laws - even if they aren't officially renting the space.
      October 22, 2018 8:36 AM MDT