Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What is an example of someone surprising you with his or her intellect, either on a particular subject, or in general?

What is an example of someone surprising you with his or her intellect, either on a particular subject, or in general?

*I am not merely referring to people on AnswerMug or anywhere else online; it could also be someone you've come across in your everyday life. 
~

Posted - October 21, 2018

Responses

• *scratches butt*

Wow, thought AND smell. :P
      October 21, 2018 7:17 PM MDT

I'm fasinated at/by how quick my young nieces and nephews picked up Knowlege .....at less than one year old they can scroll on touch screen phones and tablets...a bit older and they find there programmes on them as well....at less than a year old they are using words and know exactly what I say to them....I tell them to go find things and they go find it and bring it to me....lol
      October 21, 2018 7:50 PM MDT

Oddly enough, my first wife. When the kids were old enough to take care of themselves, she decided to go to college and study chemistry. She ended up being the chief chemist and biologist for our water plant and is now working with some university professors to try to solve the algae problem in Lake Erie. I never would have guessed.

Wait...shouldn't that be Who instead of What? This post was edited by Element 99 at October 23, 2018 11:34 AM MDT
      October 22, 2018 8:16 AM MDT

• Once I saw my son talking to a neighborhood friend. This fellow had a mental disability and although he was a nice guy you had to be careful engaging him because he would talk your ears off. 
    My son was just sitting there listening to this guy go on and on about something. Later I asked him why didn't he just say I gotta go.
    He said because you can always learn something from anybody if you listen long enough, no matter who they are. I was like. . Yeah. .but. . you know. . you're right.
      October 22, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

probably when you get surprised they know so nnuch
      October 22, 2018 10:39 AM MDT

Strangely, I can't remember being surprised at anyone's intellect.
    I believe intelligence is predominantly a bi-product of how much we practise the micro-skills of cognition,
    so anyone can change - either improve or atrophy.
    Character, values and needs determine how people choose to ignore or develop their potential.

I keep an open mind while getting to know someone,
    and tend to wait several years before my general impression forms.
    After that, I find the fields of study they pursue and the trends of their thinking tend to match that impression.

I suppose the shock would occur if something happened to radically change a person - perhaps the result of a concussion, a stroke, or the sudden onset of dementia.
      October 22, 2018 6:58 PM MDT

I'll just say elected officials.
      October 22, 2018 11:30 PM MDT