Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you heard the epitome of "delightful" music?

Have you heard the epitome of "delightful" music?

Yeah, I'm biased. Arguably, this music may define the word "delightful" when it comes to music.
:)

A theme from the also-delightful movie "A Little Romance." Composer Georges Delerue.

The fun little video with scenes from the movie contains HUGE plot spoilers to the movie. Just close your eyes if you choose to listen and haven't seen the movie.

I hope you enjoy!

Posted - October 23, 2018

Responses

not yet
      October 24, 2018 10:25 AM MDT

OK.
      October 24, 2018 12:26 PM MDT

Welby~ I listened and found it truly delightful as well :) :)

There are many pieces I find cause delight and are charming. 
    Many Shadowfax pieces are delightful
    Steely Dan can be delightful 
    Steve Winwood is another that brings delight to listen to.
    Santana and Dire Straits come to mind.
    Of course, not all of any artist I can think of brings 100 percent delight on all their cuts but a good majority.
    Those are all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Good question Welby.  It inspired me to turn on some "delightful" music and turn off the violence and drama on the TV.  Thanks! :) :)
      October 24, 2018 11:26 PM MDT

I'm glad you liked my question, Merlin.
    And I'm glad you listened and enjoyed! Have you seen this movie, "A Little Romance"? What a gem!

I like many of the groups you mention, too. Yes, it's not always 100 percent but a majority.

Speaking of Steely Dan - - Donald Fagen's solo album "The Nightfly" -- one of my favorites! I love his song "New Frontier." And the music video for the song is one of my favorite music videos.

October 25, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

Right On!!
      Thank you Welby!  One of my favs!!  :) :) :) :)
      October 26, 2018 3:24 AM MDT

I'm right there with you!
      October 26, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

• I heard it and loved it. It sounded so much like a Vivaldi concerto! 
      October 26, 2018 3:31 AM MDT

Thanks for listening, Neelie! I'm glad you liked it.

Interesting to me that you mentioned Vivaldi. I think the composer, Georges Delerue, who wrote the music for this movie, may have been going for a Vivaldi sound. A very large portion of the music for the movie appears whenever the two young people have a romantic moment. And Delerue uses the second movement to Vivaldi's "Guitar Concerto in D-Major" as the music theme. Here is a recording -- another one of my favorite pieces!

Oh, and this movie "A Little Romance" is a charming, funny little movie. And if you happen to watch the video here -- the young girl is actress Diane Lane. And one of the adult males is Laurence Olivier.

Anyway, here is the Vivaldi piece -- 

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 26, 2018 12:08 PM MDT
      October 26, 2018 10:41 AM MDT

• I have this piece on a CD with other concertos, notably one for mandolin, to which the solo instrument iof the delerue theme sounds very close. 

October 26, 2018 12:10 PM MDT

I agree, it sounds like a mandolin.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 26, 2018 6:32 PM MDT
      October 26, 2018 6:32 PM MDT

October 26, 2018 4:29 AM MDT

Yeah, you're right -- there's no denying the delight of this music. And this is a nice performance of it, too!
      October 26, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

One thing I particularly appreciate about this rendition is that it is performed using the authentic Baroque instruments Pachelbel wrote it for. Baroque violins (larger and heavier than modern ones, with no metal fixtures such as chin rests - you may notice two of the performers drape the collar of their dresses over the edge of the instruments to provide a little cushioning), single-manual organ, Baroque cello and a theorbo (bass lute).
      October 29, 2018 6:20 AM MDT

That's interesting, thanks! I hadn't noticed all of the things you mentioned but I did notice the big lute.
      October 29, 2018 8:41 AM MDT