Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Men, regardless of the authority figure's gender and/or your sexual orientation, would you sleep your way to the top if you could? ~

Men, regardless of the authority figure's gender and/or your sexual orientation, would you sleep your way to the top if you could? ~

Posted - October 24, 2018

Responses

• I'm a bottom and I doubt there'd be much sleepin'. :P
      October 24, 2018 9:08 AM MDT

Sure.

October 24, 2018 9:25 AM MDT

NO!  I have morals!  What you suggest is called "using people".  A person is not a tool to be used to get what you want and then discarded.  Using people is extremely selfish!!
      October 24, 2018 9:27 AM MDT

no
      October 24, 2018 10:17 AM MDT

Pearl, news flash: you're not a man. 

:|
      October 24, 2018 11:50 PM MDT

No.
      October 24, 2018 12:39 PM MDT

• Why have you restricted your question to men? 
      October 24, 2018 6:24 PM MDT

Why do you direct some of yours only to women?
    ~
      October 24, 2018 11:51 PM MDT

• Because they are applicable ONLY to women.
    This question, on the other hand is applicable to both genders.
    Women can sleep their way to the top, and probably better than men do. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 25, 2018 8:49 AM MDT
      October 25, 2018 12:11 AM MDT

The unstated assumption behind the question (though he may deny it) is that we can "sleep our way to the top".   Which I think is erroneous.  Primarily the stuff of pop dramas and cheap novels.  I have never known anyone who has done such a thing.  And those who have tried have found themselves not taken seriously and generally do not last. .  What we are capable of through intimacy is having a great deal of influence over our men.  Which is not the same thing at all. 
      October 25, 2018 4:55 AM MDT

Once again, officegirl, you're narrowly applying only your own personal experiences when you say you're not aware of it ever happening among the people you know or have known, which seems to say that according to you, it must not have ever happened anywhere else nor with anyone else. You present almost a 180-degree different viewpoint than Neelie presented; she stated that it certainly does happen among some women. 

The only unintended consequence of me having posted this is the perspective that I should have included women. The polar opposites you two ladies bring up give evidence as to why I disagree that both genders should have been part of it. 
    ~
      October 25, 2018 5:24 AM MDT

But I did not question your restricting answers to men.  I was questioning Neelie's assumption (and perhaps yours) that we are able to do it at all.  Perhaps in her culture it happens.  But I have keenly observed American corporate culture from the inside for almost thirty years now and have found that if women want to get to the "top" (an executive position) we must keep our personal lives separate. This post was edited by officegirl at October 25, 2018 12:09 PM MDT
      October 25, 2018 5:39 AM MDT

Believe me, it happens and has happened in the United States also, and among both genders, across all orientations.
    Once again, your thirty years of observation notwithstanding, it happens. Just because you're not personally aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 
    ~
      October 25, 2018 5:47 AM MDT

• "Perhaps in her culture it happens."
    No, it doesn't happen, and I take strong exception to such disdainful statements. Please shed that false air of cultural superiority. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 26, 2018 3:08 PM MDT
      October 25, 2018 8:19 AM MDT

I'm sorry - my comment was on your "women can sleep their way to the top" which in my experience does not happen.  Which Randy cited as being 180 degrees different from what I have seen.  But apparently you have not observed that in your culture (which I am generally unfamiliar with) either.   So then if it is not anything we have noted in our respective cultures then where did your comment come from?  Not sure how you get any sense of "cultural superiority" just out of talking about different cultures.  I was assuming that since you made that comment it must have been something you had observed.

My point is that people like to talk about women "sleeping their way to the top" but in fact that is something that seldom happens. This post was edited by officegirl at October 25, 2018 2:37 PM MDT
      October 25, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

• You appear to have missed the rider in the question - "if you could".
    And although sleeping one's way may not be the most common route up the ladder, it does happen a little more than you think, and obviously very discreetly.. After all, irrespective of culture, a woman is a woman, and a man a man. And being part of the same hierarchy is to some an impediment , and to some an opportunity and incentive. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 26, 2018 3:09 PM MDT
      October 25, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

Is that dash really needed between 180 and degree? I have never seen that before.
      October 25, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

It's not a dash, it's a hyphen, and it's necessary because I used a two-word phrase that modifies the noun that immediate follows it. 
    ~
      October 26, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

OK. Thanks for clearing that up.
      October 26, 2018 3:38 PM MDT

You're entirely welcome ol' buddy, ol' pal, and . . .

(J/k!)

~
      October 26, 2018 7:44 PM MDT

My curiosity was specifically for what men might do in the situation, simple as that. The question can be applied to both genders, sure. I had no desire to start a battle of the genders (sexes), nor to besmirch women's values, reputations, etc. I'm sure if I had posted it geared only toward women, I would have faced the ire of some people who take exception to the implication that a woman obtained her position by doing it. 
    ~
      October 25, 2018 5:16 AM MDT

of, if

I'd sleep my way to the bottom in the right circumstances.  
      October 24, 2018 8:26 PM MDT

LOL, great answer!
      Thanks for catching that typo, too; I've since edited it. 
    ~
      October 25, 2018 6:56 AM MDT

Well, (smiles with a surprised look) you're welcome!
      October 25, 2018 2:37 PM MDT