Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Are you afraid that you might find yourself alone and lonely sooner than you previously expected?

Are you afraid that you might find yourself alone and lonely sooner than you previously expected?

I've lived alone since I was 18, and am so accustomed to it that I find the continual presence of another an intrusion into my privacy and a curb to my independence. I've remained unmarried, and I know I'll never marry for this very reason. And though I've been in relationships and am in a relationship at present, I often wonder how long I can continue this way of life. I'm close to 47, my parents, whom I'm very close to though I live separately, are getting on in years, and I'm very scared that real loneliness will set in after they're gone. 

Posted - October 24, 2018

Responses

No.....I don't think that every likely to happen.....We are very well suited and  both quite possessive  as well.....lol
      October 24, 2018 6:51 PM MDT

• I'm alone, but don't think for one second I'm lonely.  God blessed me with 2 capable hands that don't hold out. xD
      October 24, 2018 6:51 PM MDT

I'm not afraid of being alone.  I'm the only person who has never let me down.  I'm dependable.  I'm also a lot of fun.  
      October 24, 2018 7:02 PM MDT

• I've lived alone since I was 18, and am so accustomed to it that I find the continual presence of another an intrusion into my privacy and a curb to my independence. I've remained unmarried, and I know I'll never marry for this very reason. And though I've been in relationships and am in a relationship at present, I often wonder how long I can continue this way of life. My parents, whom I'm very close to though I live separately, are getting on in years, and I'm very scared that real loneliness will set in after they're gone. 
      October 24, 2018 7:22 PM MDT

Enjoy them.  When they are gone you will be presented with something or someone to fill that void.  Don't worry about things that haven't happened yet.  I've already learned that lesson.  
      October 24, 2018 10:08 PM MDT

Afraid? No. More like hopeful. 
      October 24, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

I've been married (by common law or by license) since I was 21.  We raised four kids.  I haven't spent any significant time alone for 46 years.  I'll trade with you anytime, just let me know.
      October 24, 2018 7:26 PM MDT

• I can relate to what you're saying. I'm a man with my own life but I still feel that as long as my mother is alive I'm not alone. I think that once she's gone I'll probably be like wow, I'm on my own now. A very strange feeling of impending isolation. Good question.
      October 24, 2018 7:56 PM MDT

I've lived alone for almost 50 years - never married, no kids.  My parents are both gone.  I have three sisters, all of whom have children so I haven't missed not being a mom.  I can see them whenever I want, so I'm not lonely and I actually enjoy spending time by myself.  I find that I don't like being around other for any length of time - I kind of like the peace and quiet of my own place.
      October 24, 2018 8:50 PM MDT

When a person like me isn't meant to be born, these kinds of things happen.
      October 24, 2018 8:53 PM MDT

You are not a mistake.  Find out why you are here.  That is the journey.
      October 24, 2018 10:01 PM MDT

Don't make me come over there and smack some sense into you. You have lots of friends here.
      October 25, 2018 11:31 AM MDT

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, my better half and I are almost co-dependent. Barring accidents, she'll probably outlive me.
      October 24, 2018 9:04 PM MDT

not really, ive live alone a lot nnyself
      October 25, 2018 3:04 PM MDT