Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » If you are conversant with another language, would you rather read a book written originally in that language or a translation in English?

If you are conversant with another language, would you rather read a book written originally in that language or a translation in English?

Although I read books in English, I prefer to read newspapers and magazines in my mother tongue, Gujarati. I feel more comfortable hearing about current events on Gujarati television and radio channels, and always write to my family and friends  in Gujarati. Except, of course, when I send emails, because typing on a Gujarati keyboard is for me a very slow and laborious exercise.

Posted - October 26, 2018

Responses

Depends on exactly how fluent I am. The Bible has to be read in Hebrew (OT) or Koine Greek (NT), it loses too much in translation.
      October 26, 2018 4:35 AM MDT

• If I'm able to read the language of course I'd rather read it in the language it was written in.  Any kind of literature or art is better when it's as close to it's original form as possible.  For the same reason I will always opt for subtitles over watching a movie dubbed. 
      October 26, 2018 8:16 AM MDT

Gujarati indeed is a lovely language though I do not get to use it in writing or reading anymore except newspaper sometimes. Most books that I read are in English though I always wished to try some Gujarati literature. News and Radio channels in Gujarati surely gives feeling of closeness with mother tongue.. Though English makes more easier to read now still I do not prefer to read  something which is translated in English originally written in some other language.. I feel it's hard to keep the essence of the book when you translate it in another language especially conversations and dialogues when they are translated word to word.
      October 26, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

Yes books sometime lose their charm when translated especially the conversations!
      October 28, 2018 3:25 AM MDT

I am barely conversant in the one I am speaking now.
      October 26, 2018 1:39 PM MDT

i can read in spanish
      October 26, 2018 1:55 PM MDT

• Oh, that's nice, Pearl. 
      October 26, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

I've enjoyed reading certain authors' original works in their native Spanish, because it helps me learn new words, phrases, idioms, expressions, cultural concepts, etc.  I will, however, admit that it's a bit of a struggle for me, requiring a mountain of dictionaries at the ready, and sometimes that's not always helpful for the more obscure references made by the writers.

Great question, by the way!

~

October 26, 2018 9:30 PM MDT

I'd prefer original language if conversant in that language!
      October 28, 2018 3:28 AM MDT

• Which language other than English are you conversant with? 
      October 28, 2018 6:16 AM MDT

Conversant in Hindi...
      October 28, 2018 12:35 PM MDT

• Oh really! Are you from India then? 
      October 28, 2018 5:15 PM MDT

Yup India! It's always pleasing to see someone from India here.. Nice seeing you!
      October 29, 2018 8:40 AM MDT

• Same here. 
      October 29, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

• OMG! 
    All those adverbs, various fonts, punctuation, and prepositional phrases. 
    It's exhausting.  So I only look at Picture Books.

October 28, 2018 12:55 PM MDT

I admire people who are conversant with and read different languages because I am sure they are able to grasp all kinds of nuances which defy translation.  All I have tried to read from the original languages has been The Bible which I did with the help of dictionaries and word books and commentaries.  People say American novelist Jack Kerouac wrote as well and vividly as he did because he grew up speaking Quebec French in his family. 
      October 29, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

• Only once when I was in school.  It was my fourth year of French and I loved it.  For class I read the Count of Monte Cristo in French.  It was a good read:)
      October 29, 2018 9:56 AM MDT