Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Do you like to ride motorcycles, what kind and where do you like to ride?

Do you like to ride motorcycles, what kind and where do you like to ride?

As you can see from my Avatar, I do....

Posted - November 2, 2018

Responses

I had a couple of Hondas decades ago. Teey were fun when I was young, But I no longer have the urge to ride,
      November 2, 2018 8:02 PM MDT

Hello there Element99
    Ha, I ride a honda, a Nighthawk 700s. Its over 30 years old but still looks and rides as new. We have great roads for driving where I live. Every weekend our roads host 100's of bikers and car clubs that come up here to ride, sadly there are fatalities often because people ride too fast.
    I grew up on motorcycles but when I had kids I stopped, since they have been gone I started riding again, and really enjoying it...

November 2, 2018 8:20 PM MDT

I stopped when  realized I was the only one who haden't dumped one. Including my pregnant wife,
      November 2, 2018 8:24 PM MDT

Haha...I havent been down since I started again, but in my youth I met several pieces of pavement...
      November 2, 2018 8:30 PM MDT

I like a good ride ....when we go fast ,it's breath taking.....Motor bikes are fun to....:).  Hehe 
      November 2, 2018 9:37 PM MDT

I like Can Am Max Quads......:)
      November 2, 2018 9:39 PM MDT

Hello Nice Jugs, ordinarily I think I would get slapped if I said that to anyone else...hahaha
    Can-ams are very popular here..I often think I may end up with one when and If i dont feel comfortable riding a regular bike.
      November 2, 2018 9:47 PM MDT

They are sure fun ,but don't like the thumb throttle or accelerator...

Please  feel safe with me.......I'm not just any ole Slapper...I'm very choosey who I hit it off with.....hehe 

November 2, 2018 10:08 PM MDT

I had a little two-stroke Honda 125 road/trail in my youth, used to do a fair bit of bush-bashing as well as riding on suburban roads. Topped out at about 60 miles per hour so not really suitable for freeways.
    I got rid of it and got a car when I started hearing "you're not taking MY daughter anywhere on THAT!" from parents of my dates.
      November 2, 2018 10:06 PM MDT

I'm not interested in just two strokes...... I wouldn't go far on them for my first ride eiver....:( 
      November 2, 2018 10:12 PM MDT

If anything the size of a motorbike was trying to get in there, I'm sure that two strokes would be more than enough.
      November 2, 2018 10:46 PM MDT

I like four strokes or I'm not getteing on :(
      November 3, 2018 3:03 AM MDT

Two-stroke is better for a little bike, accelerates quicker and is more likely to fire on the first kick. On a bigger bike with an electric starter, four-stroke is the way to go.
      November 3, 2018 11:18 PM MDT

My dad got two Yamaha PW 50's for us to ride when we were small....he got them for my older brothers really but I always got on them when ever I could...They were great fun and they still go well...
      November 4, 2018 2:16 AM MST

You must know my mother.
      November 3, 2018 9:10 AM MDT

Sure.  About as much as I like enlisting in a war.

I mean both have 50/50 chances of coming out of the experience unbroken or still alive.

NO.  I don't like anything about them.  

They are insanely dangerous.  

November 2, 2018 11:27 PM MDT

Hello There Sharonna
    Yes they can be dangerous, but there is a risk in just about everything we do...
    We do have accidents where I live but a large majority of those are due to riding too fast.
    I have ridden most of my life and aside from a few times where I have had to lay the bike down, I have always come home virtually unscathed.
    I now ride much slower and safer than I did in my younger days. 
      November 4, 2018 11:25 AM MST

• "Yes, I like to ride."  Sport touring motorcycles are usually what I ride, but my earlier motorcycles were just motorcycles .... no fairing, no tank bag, etc.  As for where do I like to ride?  Most any place that's not in town ... too many four-wheelers!  I've ridden mostly on the west coast, from Tijuana, Mexico to Hyder, Alaska.  I was a member of the SCMA for seventeen years and I figure I've ridden about 400,000 mi. on two wheels.

I did a little NHRA drag racing, on two wheels, for about two years ... Lions, Irwindale, Carlsbad and O.C. raceways.  I've also tried a little dirt bike riding, but got tired of going over the handlebars.  :)  I've owned a few motorcycles ... usually not what the in-crowd was buying.  For example, the motorcycle pictured is the one I rode to Alaska ...

I equipped it with a Rabid Transit fairing and a tank bag for the trip.
      November 3, 2018 2:51 AM MDT

Hello there Alf
    Nice!!! What year is that Bike, it is beautiful..
    I have pretty much stuck with the UJM type. When I was much younger a group of us had Yamaha Daytona specials, a 2 stroke 400 cc We used to go to Laguna for the 1/4 mile. 
    I have 2 bikes now, my Nighthawk (as pictured in my avatar) and an old Kawasaki KZ, which I have rebuilt, well almost, still isn't completely finished.

November 4, 2018 11:13 AM MST

• UJM ...that's what I meant by my earlier bikes just being bikes ... UJM's.  The picture is a 1979 Benelli 750 Sei.

I had a Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special as well.  I put a set of clip-ons and expansion chambers on it ... fun bike!!
      November 4, 2018 2:48 PM MST

Mine was stock, with the typical Yamaha single pipes. wish I still had it...
    from 0-60 that bike was one of the quickest I have ever rode. 
      November 4, 2018 3:22 PM MST

• Quickest indeed ... if you could keep the front end on the ground!  With your butt almost directly above the rear axle, wheelies were very common place.  :))  The only street bike I ever rode that you could "drive" the front end into the air ... popping the clutch, unnecessary!

In all honesty, it might have been the expansion chambers that allowed that to happen.  I can't remember how I had it setup when I took it to Terminal Island.  Took it kinda easy coming out-of-the-hole, the front end drove into the air as the revs went up, shifted and drove it almost all the way through second before the front end came back down ... I'm pretty sure the expansion chambers were on it then.  :))

Aw well ... I'm rambling.  Fun bike though!

November 4, 2018 4:22 PM MST

Oh Yeah...There it is!!!
    I would love to ride that here.
    There is a place about a mile from my house called "Alice's Restaurant" . Every week end there will 100's of bikes. Most of them are newer and sport bikes. They all look the same to me. Even on my Honda, I stand out, will always get a few people admiring it..
    A Daytona would certainly command attention..
      November 4, 2018 4:44 PM MST

• LOL .... I rode my little RD to the "United States Motorcycle Jamboree."  It was a sanctioned SCMA ride that I'd never been on before, so I decided to go one year. Now, the name should have been a "tip-off", but it didn't dawn on me until I got there.

They threw beer cans at me as I rode through the fair grounds (the end of the ride) ... hundreds of Harley Davidson riders.  There was hundreds of Harleys and me! So, after riding 125 mi. to get there, I turned around and rode 125 mi. to get back home.

It seems that Harley riders don't like two stroke motorcycles.  LOL

You're in the Bay Area ... I'm in the L.A. Basin area. Here we have ... 

Cold Spring Tavern - Mostly Harleys (Saturday only)

The Rock Store - All brands (Weekend)

The Lookout Roadhouse - Mostly European sportbikes (Weekend) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 1, 2018 6:49 AM MST
      November 4, 2018 7:12 PM MST