Discussion » Statements » The earth is flat. No curve to be seen.

The earth is flat. No curve to be seen.

Posted - November 3, 2018

Responses

• Yep the sun & moon crash into it every evening, burrow through the soil, and burst forth in the near vicinity every morning by traveling in a straight line.  Or is Earth like a quarter spinning around in space?
      November 3, 2018 5:53 PM MDT

• I think it's a pyramid, and the Illuminati is keeping the truth about it from us.

See the source image
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 4, 2018 6:10 AM MST
      November 3, 2018 6:03 PM MDT

I agree.
      November 3, 2018 6:09 PM MDT

Tell that to Joan of Ark then...:)
      November 3, 2018 6:39 PM MDT

An open ocean voyage would cure you of your flat earth delusion. The curve of the horizon is evident out there.

Maybe you live somewhere like Illinois, which I agree, is pool-table flat in places.

But the flat earth theory was debunked 2400 years ago, when Greek astronomer Anaxagoras observed the earth’s shadow on the moon, during lunar eclipses. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 3, 2018 7:17 PM MDT
      November 3, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

Earlier than that, the Phoenicians knew that the Earth was curved. They were master mariners. They didn't know whether it was a sphere or a cylinder, but they had observed that when approaching landfall, the tops of things came into view over the "Earth's belly" first.
      November 4, 2018 1:21 AM MDT

Yes, seagoing cultures were well aware of the earth’s curvature; precisely why I made an example of a sea voyage.  Even ancient Hindus portrayed it as a half dome, on the backs of elephants atop a tortoise. 
    But in terms of Western science and presentable evidence, we can start with the works of the Greeks, who also calculated a fairly accurate measure of the planet‘s circumference. This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 4, 2018 6:51 AM MST
      November 4, 2018 6:49 AM MST

Not sure where you live.  Its not flat here in Eastern Massachusetts. 
      November 3, 2018 7:33 PM MDT