Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Has the big bang quit big banging or is there still a trickle of matter/energy being expelled which is causing the universe to continue to expand?

Has the big bang quit big banging or is there still a trickle of matter/energy being expelled which is causing the universe to continue to expand?

Posted - August 21, 2016

Responses

It is still growing of course.  Everyone knows this.

August 22, 2016 8:26 AM MDT

Yeah.
      August 22, 2016 8:27 AM MDT

Cannot say what else could cause a red shift.

Was a physicist caught running a red light. In court he argued that approaching a green traffic light at a certain speed can make it appear green due to the red shift phenomenon.
    The prosecutor happened to be knowledgeable about scientific stuff explained to the judge that the guy would have to be traveling at least 250,000 mph for that effect to occur.
    So the judge fined him for speeding.
      August 22, 2016 8:38 AM MDT

I just don't understand how space can be created for the universe to grow where space does not exist to be created.

Like if space did not exist outside your house how could you go out to mow your lawn or work in your garden?
      August 22, 2016 9:13 AM MDT

"Approaching a red traffic light' I meant.
      August 22, 2016 9:27 AM MDT

• That's funny. I was actually asking jewels about his remarks. But this is better. Ty

August 22, 2016 9:53 AM MDT

Well, as far as we can tell, the expansion is accelerating, so yeah, I guess that energy is still working? But they say that it's dark energy, causing the expansion, I think, not sure what that means exactly. There's also the cosmic microwave background, which is leftover EM radiation from the Big Bang. 

August 21, 2016 8:54 PM MDT

Hmm... ok. I can't understand how the universe can be expanding when space does not exist outside the universe to expand into.
      August 21, 2016 9:07 PM MDT

I think some scientist now figure that the Universe is shrinking (they figure they can see some of the outer galaxies moving towards the inner galaxies). So maybe that means that there is no out ward force left from the big bang. Cheers!
      August 21, 2016 10:41 PM MDT

• First thing is first. The big bang was not big, nor was there any actual bang. The universe we know of was actually in an infinitely small and dense state of existence at the time of theorized creation, and since there was no gaseous matter or distance for sound waves to travel. No actual bang. It's a misnomer used to give a perspective to the formation of the space time we and our obserabable relm
    exist in.
      August 21, 2016 10:58 PM MDT

• The big squeeze theory is postulated by a very small number of experts and is based on questionable and problematic observations.
      August 21, 2016 11:02 PM MDT

Ok.
      August 21, 2016 11:02 PM MDT

All right.
      August 21, 2016 11:03 PM MDT

• alright,alright,alright
      August 22, 2016 12:15 AM MDT

Scientist don't know any such thing, but they will go to their graves without changing their theories. You think otherwise? Here is a forum provided for people to discuss astronomy pictures published by NASA. Notice rule 15: discussion of alternative theories, the definition of science, is specifically forbidden.
    http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26696

Let's think this thing through:
    Big bang is implied by
    Receding galaxies, which are implied by
    Doppler shift, which is caused by
    Motion away from us, which is assumed from
    Red shifted light

So we have this remarkable train of logic all based on a single phenomenon and an assumption. If that assumption is wrong then most of what we think we know about the universe ain't so. Well, Doppler effect is not the only cause of red shift. But scientists would rather be wrong than uncertain, so the old theories drag on. We don't believe in the germ theory of disease because doctors thought it was a good idea, we believe because all the doctors who believed the humour theory died and were replaced by younger doctors.

August 22, 2016 3:51 AM MDT

Looks like an interesting site.
    I think I will become a asterknot.
      August 22, 2016 7:59 AM MDT

• That's the big question, Kittie, precisely.

August 22, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

• What else would you say causes the red shift? Just curious.

August 22, 2016 8:23 AM MDT