Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Do you think Uranus can cause earthquakes?

Do you think Uranus can cause earthquakes?

I think it can because next week Venus, Neptune, Mars, the moon and Uranus will be in align and some scientist are saying that gravitational pull will tug on Earths tectonic plates and cause earthquakes. Cheers and happy weekend! 

Posted - November 17, 2018

Responses

Not me.....I'm just a tweet kind of girl really and never go out on the pull.....:) 
      November 17, 2018 12:17 PM MST

Not likely. Other than the moon, the other objects don't exert much force on earth. I suppose anything is possible though. You gave me a project...I will do the math to calculate the forces. Something to do other than waste time here.
      November 17, 2018 12:30 PM MST

I like solving algebra problems but I wouldn't know were to start to do the math on that probably be lots of variables Cheers and happy weekend
      November 17, 2018 10:01 PM MST

F= G X m1m2
                  r^2

Featured snippet from the web
    Image result for calculate force between two objects
    In order to calculate the gravitational force between two objects with masses of m1 and m2 , the equation is: where G is the gravitational constant (6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1), r is the distance between the two objects, and F is the magnitude of the force between the objects. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 18, 2018 8:00 AM MST
      November 18, 2018 7:59 AM MST

not that i know of
      November 17, 2018 2:47 PM MST

Is that a polite way of saying I have a big butt?

Technically, earthquakes can only happen on earth (hence the term "earth quake").  Seismic activity on other worlds would be named after that world (i.e - moonquake, Venusquake, Kepler-452bquake, etc). 

Except for our moon, other planetary bodies in our solar system don't exert enough gravitational pull to greatly affect seismic activity on earth.  They're just to far away.
      November 17, 2018 3:19 PM MST

• Maybe you should steer clear of the chili at the next potluck.
      November 18, 2018 9:19 AM MST

The question asks only of Uranus. The answer to that would be no.

The answer to the by-line, a different question, seem a highly speculative perhaps, if all are in line; but individually I can't see that any of those bodies would affect the Earth much, certainly no more than normal. Our planet's internal forces on its own Crust are much greater than those from our neighbouring extra-terrestrial bodies.  
      November 20, 2018 3:26 PM MST