Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Before photography, the only way to depict how a person looked was by drawing or painting. Do you ever wonder about the accuracy in the

Before photography, the only way to depict how a person looked was by drawing or painting. Do you ever wonder about the accuracy in the

way those old drawings and paintings made people look?
~

Posted - November 22, 2018

Responses

PAINTINGS.

Paintings.

November 22, 2018 7:36 PM MST

Thank you; the typo has been corrected. 

~
      November 22, 2018 7:49 PM MST

WHEW.

I was wondering if I could sleep tonight.  

November 22, 2018 7:53 PM MST

"I haven't slept a wink thanks to that danged Randolph D, grrrrrrrrrr."

~
      November 22, 2018 8:11 PM MST

I think they probably did a good job.

But when did Jesus dye his hair and go blond? 
      November 22, 2018 7:37 PM MST

sonnetinnes
      November 23, 2018 11:44 AM MST

I think people didn't smile because their faces got tired.  It might have helped if the artists started with their smiles first and went to paint their hands.  Those are the hardest for me.
      November 23, 2018 8:20 PM MST

Depends on the period.
    The camera obscura was developed circa 1600-1650.

However, at that time, the person who could commission a portrait usually wanted it to flatter his social position - so despite the access to a technological means of accuracy, the art would almost always distort the reality.
    The exceptions to this were some of the Northern Renaissance painters, like Rembrandt and Albrecht Durer, who had an intense love for realism - though even they sometimes took licenses with truth for the sake of expression.

The natural eye can draw with great accuracy once an artist has the right training and sufficient practice. However, for a master, the literal transcription of exactly what the eye sees soon becomes boring and pedantic. Art requires something more, both in the beauty of the craftsmanship and in the expression and meaning of the work. Often what is left out is more telling or more aesthetically interesting than what is included. This post was edited by inky at November 24, 2018 9:29 PM MST
      November 23, 2018 11:22 PM MST