Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » This one was the director's final film. What was this gem of a movie? :)

This one was the director's final film. What was this gem of a movie? :)

Posted - November 25, 2018

Responses

never seen it
      November 25, 2018 2:32 PM MST

Thanks for stopping in, though!
    :)
      November 25, 2018 3:20 PM MST

Welby, you make me giggle!  Thanks for that.  I needed it today!! :) :)
      November 26, 2018 2:09 PM MST

And you just made me giggle with your reply!
    You're welcome!
      November 26, 2018 8:15 PM MST

"The Boring Life of a C/W Backup Singer".  Starring: Jennifer "fake smile" McPherson and Gloria "kill me now" Johnston.

See these two brave women begrudgingly put on fake smiles at every show, while inside they long to have a real life.

Rated "R" (adult language and unrealized sexual fantasies)
    Rotten Tomatoes - 45%
    Run Time - forever and ever, and ever, and..."
      November 25, 2018 2:35 PM MST

That is SO great!!!! Ha! Incredibly funny to me!

And this gif does look like that would be a good title and plot.

Believe it or not, I really, really like this movie. This was the only gif I easily found for the movie. Why someone chose this moment for a gif I'm unsure.
      November 25, 2018 3:23 PM MST

Prairie Home Companion.  I did not see this.  I listened to the program regularly......big Keillor fan. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 26, 2018 2:10 PM MST
      November 25, 2018 4:29 PM MST

Bingo!!
    You got it!

I really liked it.

Keillor is in the movie, too.
      November 25, 2018 4:34 PM MST

Lake Wobegon......love it!
      November 25, 2018 5:05 PM MST

Excellent.
      November 25, 2018 6:30 PM MST

Oh, and Robert Altman is the director.
      November 25, 2018 4:41 PM MST

I'm glad Thriftymaid got it.  I was going to guess "Tommy" because it looks like Tina Turner singing up there.  It's one of the movies I know she does some music for. 
    At any rate, Yipppeee for Thriftymaid!!!  And good for you Welby for asking such great questions.  It's fun to keep guessing.
    It's like answerMug charades!  :) :)
      November 26, 2018 2:15 PM MST

I'm glad you like my questions. Thanks.

I'm wondering if it's Lily Tomlin there on the right who reminds you of Tina Turner. I can sort of see it, too. Sort of strange in a way.
    I"m a huge Lily Tomlin fan and I like this movie, so I had to look again for a Turner resemblance. Her eyes and hair here do it a bit for me, though.
      November 26, 2018 8:24 PM MST

I thought the lady on the right, if you are looking at them.  On the left, if you say it correctly.  It goes to show how off-base I am and out of touch.  
    I swear, when I was growing up, we only saw Walt Disney and The Sound of Music.  Our parents didn't go to the movies or take us to the movies.  We never had cable.  I don't think cable was even around to have.  And, the only time the TV was on was Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, Walt Disney,  Star Trek and The Johnny Carson Show.  According to our parents, we were too young to stay up for the Johnny Carson Show and wouldn't understand the jokes anyway.  Star Trek.... Meh, sometimes. 
    When I was old enough to date, we didn't seem to go to the movies.  We just went to dinner and then the park to drink and make out.  I was robbed, I tell you!  I never got to see all the good movies you did!!  Big hugs and giggles!! :) :)
      November 26, 2018 8:34 PM MST

I can list three movies for you that I did the same thing to on three different occasions - -

somewhere in my years of age between eight and thirteen -- while watching regular TV channels during the day, I noticed when certain TV stations would advertise scary late-night movies that were to be shown late at night. Without telling anyone, and while everyone was asleep -- indeed it was late night for all three of these movies - - I would creep down to the living room and watch these movies alone in the dark.

These three movies TERRIFIED me (all three were made in the 1960's and they were all filmed in black and white)

"Village of the Damned"

"The Innocents"

and this one in another one of my questions I recently asked -- "The Haunting"

"The Innocents" -- I was so frightened I never made it back to bed. I was afraid to go back upstairs. I slept the rest of the night sleeping on the floor outside my parents' bedroom.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 26, 2018 8:52 PM MST
      November 26, 2018 8:44 PM MST

Now those are some powerful movies.  I think the black and white effect makes it even more scary because your mind fills in the gore.  Anything, like what "The Haunting" sounds like it might be has to be about the mind.  Any mind trip will freak a normal mind out.  It does me anyway.  Things you can't see that goes on in someone else's mind is incredibly scary. 

It was cool that our parents protected us from the horrors of the movies and the TV at a young but we needed to be exposed to it more than they allowed.
    I remember the first time I saw a Clint Eastwood movie, I don't remember which one it was but I do remember Clint.  And he got shot in the arm.  I must have been about 13.  I was so concerned he wasn't going to be able to finish the movie.  I seriously looked at dad and said, "Daddy, is he going to be o.k.?  How did he finish the movie?"
    Some people, still don't understand the difference between actors playing out the words and thoughts of someone else and special effects.  I was a late bloomer but thank goodness I learned about Hollywood Magic... eventually..  Big winks and smiles! :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 26, 2018 9:07 PM MST
      November 26, 2018 9:02 PM MST

I'm not a parent -- and I never, ever had a desire to be a parent. The responsibility is simply too great to me. I immensely enjoy working with children, and I'm often told I'd make a great dad, but I couldn't do it well, in my opinion. But looking back, like I am doing this evening, I'm sort of amazed at how my parents seemed to have raised my siblings and me.
    Like you mentioned about your parents protecting you from the horrors -- somehow my parents 'tolerated' (?) -- 'encouraged' (?) -- my explorations into the fine arts, even if, as they knew, my interest very early was in all things scary.

I don't know how my parents did it all -- but they did it so quietly or something. They hardly, if ever, lectured me. They did listen to me. (After those late-at-night scary movie episodes -- I don't remember getting into trouble. They would just ask me about them. And we talked about it all. Even at the young age, and even though the movies really scared me, I loved those movies. And I still do. And my parents asked me questions about them, like what scared me or why I liked being scared, stuff like that.)

They listened to me. And helped support my various endeavors. And most important of all to me -- they didn't have to lecture me. Instead of lecturing on how to be a loving person to others, they lived admirable lives by example -- by no means were we a perfect family. In many ways, we were dysfunctional. But we all were human and loved each other. Always there was a knowledge of love present in our family.

Oh, wow -- my mind is all over the place -- it's late.

Thanks for a nice conversation to start my winding down to go to bed.

November 26, 2018 9:21 PM MST

You are such a pleasure to talk with Welby.  I share your admiration of parents and parenting.  I/we also chose not to have children because we didn't think we would be good at it.  

I feel for the parents now and the dilemmas they and the children today are faced with.  

I wish you sweet dreams and happy thoughts, always.
    Love, Merlin
    P.S.  I  look forward to running into each other again, soon. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at November 26, 2018 9:35 PM MST
      November 26, 2018 9:30 PM MST

November 26, 2018 9:35 PM MST

You're right -- I did see a lot of different things, though.
      November 26, 2018 8:46 PM MST

When it comes to movies and music you are very well-versed.  You can probably speak about "Das Boot" to "The Outsiders."  From "The Sound of Music" to "Tommy."  There are many things and stretches of talent that you have been blessed to appreciate.  
    I've seem a vast array of things but don't have the recall you do.  That is for sure. :) :)  
      November 26, 2018 8:51 PM MST

"Das Boot"!! - - I saw that one in the big theater! Oh, wow -- I left the theater devastated. Great movie!
      November 26, 2018 8:54 PM MST

"Das Boot" was one that stayed with your mind, body and soul.  Were you able to speak German by the time you left?  There were subtitles but still,  you could smell the inside of that submarine and the intensity was soooo real.
    By the end of the war, there were only a few that returned.
    A very Powerful movie, for sure!!!! This post was edited by Merlin at November 26, 2018 9:22 PM MST
      November 26, 2018 9:14 PM MST

I agree -- 110% 
    What a movie!
    Yes, how strongly I felt I was in the submarine.
      November 26, 2018 9:23 PM MST