Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Michelle Obama cancelled book tour dates to attend Bush's funeral. Money isn't her carrot. Why do people write books if not to make money?

Michelle Obama cancelled book tour dates to attend Bush's funeral. Money isn't her carrot. Why do people write books if not to make money?

Posted - December 3, 2018

Responses

I would venture a guess that very few people make any money writing or publishing books any longer.  Which was perhaps always the case but more so now since bookstores have closed and most people only read things on the net.  So I would also venture to say that people weite books for the same reason they post on AM - to get themselves heard. 
      December 3, 2018 8:02 AM MST

The Obama's signed a 65 Million dollar book deal...they needed it to build that Huge wall around their new Mansion...
      December 3, 2018 6:33 PM MST

(The Obama's The Obamas)

The apostrophe makes it a possessive singular noun, as in something that belongs to one person named Obama.  What you meant is the collective plural, as in the couple or the family with the surname Obama.)
      December 3, 2018 6:48 PM MST

Thank You Mr.D

December 3, 2018 6:54 PM MST

Yes?  I did not know they were authors. 
      December 4, 2018 6:22 AM MST

Many thought that would happen, but it seems after an initial reduction in book sales, the trade is flourishing. "Most people"... really? On what numerical basis? Many books ARE being sold, and I imagine very many of those buyers are also avid Internet users!

Yes, the motive for many authors probably is as you say, but writing a book is very different from informal, ad-hoc chats on a social forum. For a start, whether the book is a novel or an academic / technical work, writing it requires a great deal of dedication and hard work with no real guarantee publishers will want it; whereas social media generally encourage little or no dedication, the notion of "instant", and hardly any effort at all. 
      December 4, 2018 5:08 AM MST

Please forgive me if my information was incorrect.  But in the area I live there used to be 100s of bookstores, some of which I used to frequent nut now I know of only two. 
      December 4, 2018 6:21 AM MST

Oh, of course you know your area, whereas I don't, so can relate your own experience!

There certainly are fewer book-shops in my area too - just as there are fewer shops generally - but the remaining ones seem to be thriving, and review programmes on the radio have from time to time commented that publishers of actual books have survived the supposed Internet and Kindle attack. I think the decline in book-shops is not due only to people reading only on-line editions, but also to many others buying physical books, but on-line.

Off-hand I can think of only one large seller of new books in my own town, and that's a branch of W.H.Smiths; and a Waterstones 8 miles away in Dorchester; though there are other outlets selling some books, particularly the smaller-run local studies (transport, history, geography, geology, walkers' guides, folklore, etc).

A few shops and cafes selling second-hand books too, but I was troubled to hear from one café owner that some people think it clever to buy antique books merely to cut out and frame the pictures, and presumably destroy the rest! Perhaps these vandals can read only pictures... 

[Edited to correct typos] This post was edited by Durdle at December 4, 2018 7:16 AM MST
      December 4, 2018 7:14 AM MST

She has a lot of money already.

So that is why money is not her carrot.

She is on a mission to share and spread positive energy and serve as a role model.

This is the highest calling a person of her stature could offer the world.

God bless her.  GOD BLESS MICHELLE OBAMA.

I almost worship her. There are so few of her around.  So sweet and so natural

...and so not in any manner like  Ivanka or Melania.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 4, 2018 3:17 AM MST
      December 3, 2018 8:18 AM MST

Hi Sharon! Remember the sh** she got from REPUBLICANS for creating a vegetable garden and wanting children to understand where healthy food comes from? Remember the SH** she got from REPUBLICANS when she advocated that children exercise? REPUBLICANS hate her  because she is very  intelligent very accomplished and not white. How DARE she speak up and out on behalf of anything? She doesn't know "her place". Bah. Humbug. These people would rather see their kids be obese and ill than admit she had a good point and join her and support her in that endeavor. Well no one tells them how to raise their kids. If they wanna feed them JUNK FOOD CRAP 24/7 it's their business. If they wanna let their kids OD on sugary drinks rot their teeth out and get diabetes and be ridiculed and called "FATTY" it's no one's business but theirs. God save those poor children from such parents. Please. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday. This post was edited by RosieG at December 4, 2018 3:23 AM MST
      December 4, 2018 3:21 AM MST

To educate people. And I think her book schooled Trump it sold more copies in it's first week then the total number of sales of one of Trumps books sold in 35 years Cheers!
      December 3, 2018 9:24 AM MST

Really Nanoose? Seriously? I did not know that m'dear! How come you know so much good stuff? I know you can't answer that question. it would like asking "how come you are you"? But ya know what I'm gonna it anyway! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to you! Didja know Justin Trudeau pledged $50 MILLION to the Global Citizen project? Good on ya my Canadian friend! :)
      December 4, 2018 3:25 AM MST

Of course she wrote it for the money, but the book will sell regardless of a few missed tour venues.

Presumably she considered it far better to attend the funeral - and irrespective of the people or politics involved, I would agree with her.

Her book was serialised on BBC Radio Four last week. (I don't know if it's continuing, this week.)
      December 3, 2018 4:25 PM MST

She also is close friends with George W, so that factored in.
      December 3, 2018 6:41 PM MST

It was? That delights me enormously. That means she is not only valued and admired by her fellow Americans but also is valued and admired elsewhere in other lands. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      December 4, 2018 3:27 AM MST