Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Are all nerds extremely intelligent? Are all extremely intelligent people nerds?

Are all nerds extremely intelligent? Are all extremely intelligent people nerds?

Posted - December 4, 2018

Responses

depends on the person since we're all different
      December 4, 2018 3:47 PM MST

neither.

Many people regard studious or expert people as lacking in social skills.
    This maybe somewhat so in the case of people with Autism Spectrum people - who cannot easily recognize their own emotions or those of others, and some of whom can tend to be brilliant in a single field.
    It might also be somewhat true of some intellectuals who have paid less attention to developing practical, craft, or trade skills.

But by and large, the idea that very bright people are impractical and/or unsociable is a myth.
    I believe it's due to a kind of snobbery or prejudice. 
    Basically, as soon as someone uses the pejorative term "nerd", we can guess that that person has an anti-intellectual bias and carries a strong prejudice against anyone who values education, study, or the use of mental skills to increase the pool of human knowledge and understanding.

nerd
    /nəːd
    noun
    INFORMAL

1. a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

synonyms: bore, dull person

• a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.

~ ~ ~

[A person can be boring without necessarily being studious, expert or dull.
        For instance, anyone who talks non-stop about themselves tends to be boring.]

This post was edited by inky at December 5, 2018 3:09 AM MST
      December 4, 2018 5:07 PM MST

Thanks...but most of my questions are in jest. They do not need lengthy responses. I am looking for humorus answers.
      December 4, 2018 5:23 PM MST

Ah, well, I guess that makes me a nerd.
      December 4, 2018 5:26 PM MST

Welcome...don't get me started with dark matter and dark energy.
      December 4, 2018 7:20 PM MST

I wish I could get you started with dark matter and dark energy.
    There's been interesting stuff about it in the news recently.
      December 8, 2018 1:27 AM MST

I don't understand the complicated math.
      December 8, 2018 7:13 AM MST

Then why are you friends with ME????
      December 4, 2018 7:22 PM MST

Destiny...if one of us dies...so does the other. I just want to go with juicy, rare, loaded hamburger in my mouth...chased down with a shot of cheap whisky. Love you, sweety.
      December 4, 2018 7:32 PM MST

Oh you probably will, and that will be the cause.

I will die peacefully.   I am ready.  I don't want to go yet, but if I had to, I am totally ready.
      December 4, 2018 7:37 PM MST

That sounds great...I hope you don't go alone.
      December 4, 2018 7:40 PM MST

1.  Hardly

2.  Ditto.
      December 4, 2018 7:21 PM MST

Intelligence as a word can be quantified.  Nerd is a word defined by the culture.  That makes it hard to construct an accurate venn diagram.
      December 4, 2018 7:48 PM MST

You're no fun.
      December 5, 2018 6:31 AM MST

I do hope you are not discriminating against geeks and dumb blonde Bint Broads .......I I could understand what you're asking ,I might take a fence if it was so securely screwed down....  :(D
      December 5, 2018 3:33 AM MST

Let us not forget dweebs and dorks.
      December 5, 2018 6:32 AM MST

Ok by me.....can the others Muggers here forget about them instead then. ?  :)D
      December 5, 2018 12:50 PM MST

Different people have different kinds of intelligence, if they have any at all, and most of us have some. People labeled "nerds" have certain kinds of intelligence which most of us do not possess.  Which - thank God they do because society can utilize it.  But the same might not have intelligence in other areas which many of us just take for granted.  I can admire them for their abilities in and understanding of things I could never even if I worked at it.  So I see no need of feeling superior to them or of belittling and making fun of them.  
      December 5, 2018 7:09 AM MST

I don't make fun of them...I am one.
      December 5, 2018 3:29 PM MST