Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Have you ever suffered from food poisoning?

Have you ever suffered from food poisoning?

Posted - December 4, 2018

Responses

Yes---couldn't eat for 11 days.  Water only.  Finally got a cup of applesauce down. Thought I was going to die at one point.  Closest diagnostic match from my Merck manual was mushroom poisoning.  (This was before the internet.)
      December 4, 2018 8:00 PM MST

Yikes...my four bouts only lasted about 8 hours. Mushrooms, eh.
      December 4, 2018 8:03 PM MST

Yeah.  It was nothing I ever want to repeat.  

I prayed for death.  And kept puking my guts out.  UGH.

I ate some Italian peppers in oil that I left in the car.  How stupid was that? 
      December 4, 2018 8:30 PM MST

Twice from eating muscles from the same well known Italian pasta restaurant....not to bad ,bit un well for a few days each time......Once for three weeks .....seriously ill from eating a hot sausage roll  kept warm all day from a well known Bakers with a large string of shops.......

They say most people get very mild food poison at least once a week.....not washing food they prepare ,or store food in their fridge properly and keeping their fridge at the correct  temptreture ...
    Washing fresh  salads is very important and salad bars in Resturants where people help themselves can be very dangerous for picking up infections and food bugs...:(
      December 5, 2018 1:57 AM MST

Never that I can remember.  I did drink a cup of coffee in Mexico once.  I thought the heat would kill any bacteria.  Not so, stick to canned drinks or bottled water you recognize when in Mexico. Of course it's too dangerous for Americans in Mexico right now anyway.  
      December 5, 2018 4:59 AM MST

Yes a few times that I can remember.  Cipro when traveling is my friend along with Imodium. 

Africa is worse than SE Asia, India is the worst. China you will die from adulterated food not food poisoning per se.  Always drink bottled water, Always inspect the seal on both water bottles and beer.  Was and peel all fruits.  The list of food precautions goes on.  Now there are times when looking at MRE's and the local alternative - food poisoning does not seem that bad

This post was edited by Archerchef at December 6, 2018 1:13 AM MST
      December 5, 2018 5:12 AM MST

not yet
      December 5, 2018 9:49 AM MST

Yes, many times, if you go abroad the odds of you getting "the shites," is quite high.  If it's both ends then it's even worse, since there is only one toilet. I avoid mushrooms , but in many restaurant's they frequently chop them up with the olives, or fry everything in the same pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ81WibjCUI This post was edited by kjames at December 6, 2018 1:14 AM MST
      December 5, 2018 10:19 AM MST

Yeah...I got it in Israel.
      December 5, 2018 12:04 PM MST

I've had it in Spain more than anywhere, one restaurant the sweats just hit me, the gut started making noises and when I rushed to the toilet it looked like the loo off of the film Trainspotting...

Didn't want to sit on it had to hover. This post was edited by kjames at December 8, 2018 8:29 AM MST
      December 6, 2018 12:08 PM MST

• a few times 
    none recent though i think the last time was like a decade ago when I was 12 
      December 5, 2018 12:40 PM MST

Food Poisoning vs. Death.

My money is on Death.  People that are well-balanced in life, happy-go-lucky, and haven't done one thing wrong in all the years of living on earth will become suicidal in a matter of an hour. 

That is the power food poisoning has on any living being.  

I am sorry and feel the pain of everyone who answered before me.

It is dreadful, painful, and had me rethink the thought of ever being a doctor.  However my body works on the inside is just fine with me.  I don't need to see it, feel it, taste it, hear it, or smell it.  It can stay inside me and me outside.  There are no words to explain the trauma your body and mind goes through with food poisoning.  It is torturous. 

OH, the simple answer, Yes. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at December 6, 2018 1:09 PM MST
      December 6, 2018 1:24 AM MST

Thanks Merlin, this made me laugh, and relate so true.
      December 6, 2018 12:00 PM MST

You're welcome kjames and thank you for the smile your response gave me.  Have a great day!
    :) :)
      December 6, 2018 1:11 PM MST

Actually, the few times I got it were rather mild compared to others. I expelled everything at both ends and was good about 8 hours later, albeit afraid to eat.
      December 6, 2018 12:26 PM MST

Yes a few times and it felt like the flu.
      December 10, 2018 11:31 AM MST