Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » OK -- an easy one -- what's this movie?

OK -- an easy one -- what's this movie?

If I had to choose, I'd choose this guy as both the best actor and most handsome actor I've seen

:)

Posted - December 4, 2018

Responses

Until he had that car crash.  

Oh by the way, there is no greatest actor.    Shelley Winters is in this movie and she is one of the greatest actresses ever.  And she has a lot of company.  Lots of greatest actresses.  Monty Clift was wonderful.  HE was amazing and he was great.

I can't remember the name, but I remember the plot.  He was the most unfortunate of humans.  I remember that.  He had a pregnant girlfriend.  I don't remember if he was responsible for her death.  But he loved Elizabeth Taylor.  The story was An American Tragedy by Theodore Driesser.  God that guy is such a downer.  I have never read anything by him that was not some romance gone completely horribly wrong.

I Forgot the name of the flick.  Oh yeah, the guy is Montgomery Clift.  I'm sure that has to be a made-up Hollywood name.

A Place in the Sun (film) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Place_in_the_Sun_(film)
    • Overview
    • Contents
    • Plot summary
    • Censorship
    • Reception
    • A Place in the Sun is a 1951 American drama film based on the 1925 novel An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser and the 1926 play, also titled An American Tragedy. It tells the story of a working-class young man who is entangled with two women: one who works in her wealthy uncle's factory, and the other a beautiful socialite. Another adaptation of the novel had been filmed once before, as An American Tragedy, in 1931. A Place in the Sun was directed by George Stevens from a screenplay by Harry
    See more on en.wikipedia.org · Text under CC-BY-SA license
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 5, 2018 2:36 PM MST
      December 4, 2018 9:16 PM MST

Yeah, you're right -- there are so many amazing actors and actresses, 'greatest'/'best' probably doesn't matter. I think I'd choose Montgomery Clift for anything 'best' or 'most,' though, anyway! Ha!
    I can literally swoon when I look at him. And his acting chops are unbelievably honest in everything I've seen of his works. And you're right -- such a difficult life for him (from what I've read).

Yes, that car crash -- he seemed to never have recovered emotionally from that and physically. (Of course, I didn't know him or anything, but I've read a lot about him.) His looks did change after the post-accident surgeries but he still was SO handsome to me. And also being gay, there's an added attraction and a stupidly romantic notion for me to have wanted to be his friend if I lived at that time -- to just give him a hug and tell him things will be OK.

And Shelley Winters! Dam* So excellent all the time! Have you seen "The Poseidon Adventure"? I saw that as a young teen-or-so and she blew me away. I don't want to give away any plot spoilers but she had me almost crying I think.

When I saw this movie, I was strongly struck at how modern and current it all felt -- this movie was very deep, too, for me.
      December 5, 2018 2:51 PM MST

I have never seen this but the description sounds interesting. There's too many movies to see, I'll never see them all and that makes me sad. I see a lot of s**t too and that makes me sadder. This post was edited by Just Asking at December 5, 2018 2:30 PM MST
      December 4, 2018 11:33 PM MST

I think the same way about movies, bigloseridiotman. I'll never see them all, especially ones that are highly recommended or whatever. the same thing with music for me. Just yesterday another answerMugger answered a question with a song I had never heard and I immediately loved it. And I then think, "Think of all the music I might love if I only heard it."

This "A Place in the Sun" -- I highly recommend this one. This movie, for a 1951 release, feels and 'behaves' in a timeless manner to me. It all could be happening today. I found it not dated at all. Like I said, Montgomery Clift is a big draw for me in anything. He is superb, as is the rest of the cast. And like 
    Humble FLAWED God-lover mentioned, Shelley Winters -- excellent.
    I'm really glad I took time to watch this one.
      December 5, 2018 2:36 PM MST

I remember this.  It's a Lady Bic commercial.

A beautiful woman strolls into a posh house of a wealthy senator.  As she starts to remove her cloak, everyone expects to see her hot bod.  Instead, they are shocked to see (gasp) braids of hair hanging down from her armpits.  
      December 4, 2018 11:47 PM MST

Wow, that sounds sexy to me. 
    ~
      December 5, 2018 7:28 AM MST

I'm gonna grow mine now.   My scent will spread to the male  nostril.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 5, 2018 2:51 PM MST
      December 5, 2018 7:40 AM MST

I want you so badly right now it hurts. 

~
      December 5, 2018 8:18 AM MST

I love your answers to these movie questions I ask, Shuhak!
      December 5, 2018 2:30 PM MST

no idea, never seen it
      December 5, 2018 9:48 AM MST

It's a good one.

The title is in the other answers.
      December 5, 2018 2:29 PM MST

OMG  this is one of my MOSTEST FAVORITEST MOVIES EVER!

have seen it at least 10 times over the years and of course have the DVD.............incredible performances by all concerned!!

I still wonder how Taylor did that fall when she was alone in her bedroom?  egads, that must have really hurt! & her with her many back problems........

anyway, it's true American classic thru and thru..............

filmed in 1949, when Taylor was only SEVENTEEN!!  (imagine looking like that at 17! lol )NOT released until 1951, but i've never been able to find out why...does anyone know!!!!??

September 13, 2019 9:19 AM MDT

I have no answers for your question, sorry!

I had heard about this movie for a long time but never saw it for a long time.
    It amazed me in every way! in all the best ways!

For being released in 1951, I was amazed at the subject matter and plot -- could have happened yesterday and still be timely.

Great movie! 

Thanks for answering -- it was nice to come back to my question from December of last year! Glad you saw the question.
      September 13, 2019 6:43 PM MDT