Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Will you name one movie you believe lived up to its hype and one that did not?

Will you name one movie you believe lived up to its hype and one that did not?

For me --

Did --

"Citizen Kane"

Image result for citizen kane

Did not - -

"Forrest Gump"

Posted - December 6, 2018

Responses

Whew!!!  For a minute, I was beginning to think I was the only one :)
      December 7, 2018 9:18 PM MST

We both now know there are at least two of us.
    :)
    Not that I didn't enjoy it (sort of), but there are so many other way-better-to-me Hitchcock films for this one to get talked about so much. And that airplane crop duster chasing scene -- eh.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 7, 2018 10:33 PM MST
      December 7, 2018 9:53 PM MST

Exactly, it's a good movie with a great plot and exceptional acting but, so are so many others. 
    LOL... this movie so underwhelmed me that I actually forgot that it was directed by Hitchcock!
      December 7, 2018 10:36 PM MST

December 8, 2018 10:13 AM MST

Wolf of Wall St. yep
      December 7, 2018 12:04 PM MST

I never saw "Wolf of Wall Street."

And I never had a desire to see "Avatar" -- thanks to your input here, it was probably a wise decision to avoid it.
      December 7, 2018 8:51 PM MST

Some people really love Avatar. But I wasn't feeling it...hahaha
      December 10, 2018 11:32 AM MST

That's how I sort of felt about "Forrest Gump," like I mentioned in my question.

(I first was going to write "I didn't feel Forrest Gump." Ha!)
      December 10, 2018 11:38 AM MST

Well, unlike you, I did feel Forrest Gump....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This post was edited by righty1 at December 11, 2018 8:11 PM MST
      December 11, 2018 7:09 PM MST

Ha!
      December 11, 2018 8:11 PM MST

dont know of any
      December 7, 2018 1:32 PM MST

OK
      December 7, 2018 9:54 PM MST

Here's a bonus for you Welby...

Paddington (2014)… love, love, loved it!!!
    Goldfinger (1964)… no, just NO!!!
      December 7, 2018 11:04 PM MST

I have not seen either of those.
    Of the two, "Paddington" would probably first entice me. I admit I have only seen one James Bond film and I don't even remember which one it was.
      December 8, 2018 10:05 AM MST

Paddington is actually a very good film with a good plot, interesting backstories, lots of suspense and very believable characters.  The villainess actually had a very good and practical reason for hating and seeking revenge against the protagonist but, I won't tell you what it is :)
    And, the movie gets bonus points because Paddington is just so gosh darn cute :)

And then there is Goldfinger!  Where do I even begin... first off, the plot is quite sub par.  Usually Bond villains desire to rule the world or create a nation of armed soldiers with superhuman abilities or such but, Mr. Auric Goldfinger (Auric, you get it?  Au is the chemical symbol for gold) simply wants to collapse the world economy by flooding the US reserves with synthetic gold.  Also, Bond villains usually have some devious device at their disposal capable of some metaphysical feat(s) such as controlling the weather, superhuman strength/abilities or even black magic/voodoo.  What diabolical weapon did Goldfinger possess?  A  flashlight  laser that is capable of cutting through solid metal... Oooooo!!!

Even the song sucked!!!  Simply repeating, "Goldfinger", and finding words that rhyme with it is not my idea of musical talent!

December 8, 2018 11:06 PM MST

That was fun to read!
    Ha!

Maybe I will see that "Paddington." No promises, though -- there are so many movies I need to catch and now there's one more,
      December 9, 2018 3:01 PM MST

Did: Young Einstein

Didnt: LOTR. I was so bitterly disappointed by The Fellowship of the Ring that I never saw the other two, never will and refuse to ever be dragged into enduring another Peter Jackson abortion disguised as a movie.
      December 8, 2018 3:06 AM MST

Yeah, I remember other posts you've shared about the movies based upon these books. I find it strange that the movies were made, when you said, I believe, that Tolkien specifically asked that no movies be made from the books.
    I read all of the books (a friend helped me through them; I wasn't particularly drawn to any of them, though I liked "The Hobbit." ) Oh, and my favorite character in the books was not even in the movie. I'll mess up his name but it was something like "Bombabill"?

I've only heard of "Young Einstein" by title only. I haven't seen it.
      December 8, 2018 10:10 AM MST

Tom Bombadil. Maia (minor angel) of Gandalf's order, but of a lesser degree.
      December 9, 2018 1:49 AM MST

They could do a whole movie on Tom alone.  MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF ALL TIME.

Tom was no more a lesser degree than Gaia is to St. Michael the Archangel.   Tom did not need any angels protecting him.  Tom was protector, defender of nature.    He was more aptly, a guardian from a different realm than the angels.

Anyway, I see Tom as just as powerful, but from a different classification than angel.  (my take, I may be wrong.)    Tom was ELDEST  BEFORE EVERYTHING.  That sounds pretty darn powerful to me.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 9, 2018 3:04 PM MST
      December 9, 2018 3:21 AM MST

He was of the Maiar, but bound to Middle-Earth from the beginning, before the last note of the Music faded. Similar to Melian, who was explicitly named as a Maia and the parallels between her and Tom are unmistakeable. 
      December 9, 2018 7:02 AM MST

Yes!! That's the guy. Thanks, Slartibartfast!

Funny -- though I was not picturing a movie version at any point while reading the books, more than once I thought that Ernest Borgnine might have been good portraying him.
      December 9, 2018 3:03 PM MST

Mario Lanza. I've never heard Borgnine sing.
      December 9, 2018 4:19 PM MST

GREAT point!
      December 9, 2018 7:12 PM MST

Lived up

Did not

Pirates series Part 4 & 5

December 9, 2018 12:13 PM MST