Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » Have any of you lightened/ bleached your hair? What was the experience like?

Have any of you lightened/ bleached your hair? What was the experience like?

I've been fantasizing about dying my hair light blue for probably two years now, but my natural color is kind of a chestnut brown and is long; almost to my butt. I've talked to a couple stylists about it and one told me not to do it- that the process to lighten/ bleach it would fry it. I did it at home once a decade ago and it did. I was so sad I eventually just hacked it all off. However, another stylist said if I very gradually lighten it; go in every two weeks and bring it down a shade, I can get it light enough to take the blue without ruining it. But... those visits are something like $150 each and it would take four. Then, the coloring would be after. I don't quite feel like indulging my fantasy is worth $800. I keep looking at home kits, but I'm also not sure I'll do it right. :/ 

Did any of you guys ever go lighter? What was it like? Did you fry your hair? Were you happy?

Posted - December 15, 2018

Responses

I don't really have the hairstyle for it.
      December 15, 2018 8:18 PM MST

Yes and No.
    I have dirty blonde hair on the natch.  In the summer it streaks by itself in the oddest and fun ways from the sun and the ocean.  There is no way of really controlling it when left to itself.  It has a personality all its own and is never the same, year after year.
    I have lightened it with lemon in the summer sun and it has worked to accelerate the natural process.  I like it but it is not asking it to do anything other than what it does naturally.
    My sister on the other hand, who has a very professional job DID and WILL dye her hair BLUE and PINK.  I would never be so bold for fear of losing my job... BUT, the clincher is, she only does a portion of it and leaves the rest auburn brown.  A streak of bright light blue right behind her right ear or a streak of neon pink to accompany it.
    It makes a striking appearance. As I said, I would never do it for fear of the bank firing me.  She is able to get away with it.  I say, Go for it but do a little first.  I wouldn't commit to my whole head of hair... especially if it is almost down to your butt.  That, I'm sure took a lot of patience and time.  I wouldn't attempt to do something as drastic as a full head.  Just a little spaz moment, first!! :) :)
      December 15, 2018 8:56 PM MST

Thanks. That's not a bad idea. After reading some of the other answers, I'm kind of leaning that way- to go with highlights of some sort.
      December 25, 2018 6:02 PM MST

I once applied cider vinegar to make the white more uniform. It was ok but it still didn't get me a girlfriend. So I cut it all off, right down to the skin. Nobody noticed. 
      December 15, 2018 9:30 PM MST

JA do not do it, a colleague of ours did and it was a mess.  She had to have her long tresses hacked off.  She is now looking at a long process of recovery to long hair.  Long hair on a woman is one of the sexiest and expensive looks on the planet.  I also understand a woman's desire to change the look.

Now the hair thing for me personally never been a big deal.  I lost most of the top by age 20 and still keep the rest Marine short.
      December 16, 2018 4:20 AM MST

Thanks. That's why I'm hesitant to do it. I've been there and don't want to go there again. But, I keep dreaming that maybe there's a low-risk way to go about things. 
      December 25, 2018 6:04 PM MST

I took a stroll down the old long walk
    Of the day I-ay-I-ay
    I met a little girl and we stopped to talk
    On a grand soft day I-ay

And I ask you friends, what's a fella to do?
    Because her eyes were black and her hair was blue
    And I knew right then, I'd be takin a whirl
    Down the Salthill Prom with an emo Girl

We're halfway there when the rain came down
    On the day I-ay-I-ay
    And she took me up to her flat downtown
    On a grand soft day I-ay

And I ask you friends, what's a fella to do?
    Because her eyes were black and her hair was blue
    So I took her hand, and I gave her a twirl
    And I lost my heart to an emo Girl

When I woke up I was all alone
    With a broken heart and a ticket home
    And I ask you friend, what would you do?
    If her eyes were black and her hair was blue

See I've travelled around, I've been all over the world
    And I've never seen nothin like an emo girl

December 16, 2018 6:02 AM MST

• i went from red to platinum blonde
    just go to a salon and keep in mind you wont get to the color you want in one sitting. i had to go for three lightenings before i got the correct color and between that i did countless treatments to keep my hair somewhat healthy

i personally dont trust a stylist who says something like "oh itll fry your hair", it seems like a cop out when theyre uncomfortable with it/dont trust themselves. as long as your hair is healthy it should be fine. if youre worried they should do a test strand to see how your hair will look and feel after the lightening 
      December 16, 2018 10:21 PM MST

Yeah, that's part of the conundrum. I know it will have to be repeat staggered visits to get the lightening right, and that adds up cost-wise too. I love the idea, but I don't know that I love it enough to devote hundreds of dollars to it. 

I'm curious, though... I does the regrowth get handled? If it takes three visits to get it light enough, then what is maintaining it like?
      December 25, 2018 6:08 PM MST

OH JA YOU GOTTA DO IT.  That picture looks phenomenal and I know you know enough about hair products to make sure it looks shiny.    Nothing looks more gorgeous than these colors (pastels especially) when they shine with glossy health.  Nothing looks older or more aging or more dowdy (even when you are 21) than that dusty, chalky or dried out to the max with too much bleaching, dry hair.

UGH.

But, get it done professionally.  This is your crowning glory.  This is down to your butt.  DO not mess this up.  

You will look stunning. YA GOT BLUE EYES GIRRRL.  

December 25, 2018 5:52 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      December 25, 2018 6:09 PM MST

Let us know if you do it.  

December 25, 2018 6:37 PM MST

I'm doing it. I ordered a highlighting kit the other day. That should come in a day or two. I also ordered blue Punky Colors dye. Some of the reviews on it showed people with darker hair who say they didn't bleach first and their color is super vibrant. But, I figure even if mine doesn't come out that bright, the blue should saturate the highlights pretty well and come out neat. I'll try to take some before/ after photos. 
      December 29, 2018 10:58 PM MST

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I think someone said that before me ... but it is always something to fall back on...

Happily..

Hugs and Loves Always and Forever
      December 29, 2018 10:39 PM MST