Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Language » Do you take great pride in your grammar?

Do you take great pride in your grammar?

I thought I did, too, until I went over my answers a few minutes ago and was/am astounded at all the mistakes, OBVIOUS mistakes that must make me appear quite the blinkard. 

Posted - December 15, 2018

Responses

~
      December 17, 2018 10:52 PM MST

• When I speak in person, sure.   When I am online typing, I try to let it go, because of my dyslexia.   As long as the reader understands the point I am trying to convey. I assume if they cannot, they would then ask me for clarification...in a polite, respectful manner. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 19, 2018 10:19 PM MST
      December 17, 2018 12:51 PM MST

Dyslexics just want one hug. This post was edited by Not Sure at December 19, 2018 10:19 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 12:39 AM MST

Just jest won one huge hug, huh?

~
      December 18, 2018 1:40 AM MST

• LOL Except for this introvert.  lol    I will take a high-five though.  :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 19, 2018 7:13 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 8:43 AM MST

Yes, my grammar and grandpa both. 

Seriously, pride is the downfall of man. Humble yourself. 

No irritating comment required here. 
      December 17, 2018 11:38 PM MST

• What a crock of salami, salami, bologna! :P

December 18, 2018 9:44 AM MST

Sure.  I am educated. But I know how much it matters.  I don't think my strengths in any way diminish someone else.

I don't go around correcting others.  I don't know what pathways they took to get where they are.  I would rather stay mum than try and tell a foreigner who speaks more languages than I do, how to speak any language.

I don't dare correct someone who perhaps has a spelling stumbling block or grammar issue.  

I listen.  I listen to the meaning behind the technicalities.

I think for me, grammar was a no-brainer.  I was taught it at the right age  for me to grasp and develop a manner of speaking English that came easily to me.  It's not hard for me and it certainly is not that impressive.

I think art and science have a lot more to contend with as far as showing off abilities, if that is the goal.

And, of course, writing.  If you can write, grammar can fall by the wayside.  Writing engages the higher qualities of the mind, i.e., the imagination and the creative processes, not rote memorized behavior that grammar requires.   

Grammar is like memorizing time tables.  Advanced math requires actual brain work.  So, to run around a site, teasing and trolling people to laud your high knowledge of such a low-level art, speaks volumes of the maturity level of the individual.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 19, 2018 10:31 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 1:47 AM MST

Whew! I thought i'd never get a chance to use that image!
      December 18, 2018 8:36 AM MST