Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever enjoyed a work of fiction SO MUCH that you wished its story was non-fiction?

Have you ever enjoyed a work of fiction SO MUCH that you wished its story was non-fiction?

~

Posted - December 17, 2018

Responses

Yes...many of Robert Heinlein's novels.
      December 17, 2018 6:52 AM MST

I hoped to have answered with a "yes" but as I sit here, I am realizing that the fiction works I really enjoy are all rather disturbing. Flannery O'Connor and Shirley Jackson, two of my favorite authors, disturb me with their works but I so enjoy!

John Wyndham
    Franz Kafka
    Ray Bradbury

~ three more authors I really like. They disturb me, too.

Hmm. I wonder what this says about me.
    :)
      December 17, 2018 7:29 AM MST

• "The Celestine Prophesy"  (also a book)

December 17, 2018 8:40 AM MST

Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy!! 
      December 18, 2018 2:19 PM MST

My other answer -- I sort of forgot to say clearly that much of my favorite fiction revolves around stories that I would never want to actually happen. They're very uncomfortable. But they're glorious for me at the same time.
      December 17, 2018 11:52 AM MST

not yet
      December 17, 2018 3:43 PM MST

Treason - Orson Scott Card
      December 17, 2018 5:10 PM MST

Your question has made me begin to examine myself in this area.  I love movies which are fiction, even the ones based on facts.  There is always straying from the truth in some respect.  No problem there at all.  However, when it comes to anything in writing, I have a real thing about fiction.  Someone recommeded a book which I read a few years ago (wish I could remember the name).
    I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it until I discovered it was not a true story.  I was very upset, infact I'm still upset about it. It's like being lied to for some reason.  I need to get over this very strange annoyance for sure. 
      December 17, 2018 5:59 PM MST

I've had a similar reaction!! And I can't remember if it had been a book or a movie -- I think it was a book. But the fiction was written in a die-hard true event style. When I found out it was not true, I, too, had felt manipulated and lied to.
      December 17, 2018 8:48 PM MST

Yes! :)
    The list of titles would be endless.  But the three that came to mind, just for fun are:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams*
    Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

*This is a coincidence and also the honest to goodness truth!! This post was edited by Merlin at December 18, 2018 7:57 PM MST
      December 18, 2018 2:31 PM MST