Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Who is an actor you love that you would say isn't given enough praise?

Who is an actor you love that you would say isn't given enough praise?

I think Michael Cera is way more than just his Superbad/Arrested Development persona, he's been doing some really weird indy stuff for the last few years and taking a lot of risks, and I really respect that.

I also want to mention Emma Thompson here. She's certainly a pretty famous actor and gets a fair amount of praise, but most people don't know that she's a screenwriter too, and adapted the screenplay for Sense and Sensibility, a movie I really love.

I think Adam Sandler deserves credit for his more serious roles. Most people see him as a childish comedian but he's much deeper than that, when he wants to be.

Posted - December 26, 2018

Responses

I liked that movie.
    :)
      June 23, 2019 5:52 PM MDT

some people give that movie shiz but I genuinely like it, it's just really nice

He's done a handful of serious movies at this point though and he can be really great as a dramatic actor. I wish he'd do more! This post was edited by bigloseridiotman at October 20, 2019 10:21 PM MDT
      October 20, 2019 6:36 PM MDT

I can only agree..:) 
      October 20, 2019 10:21 PM MDT

Liked Adan Sandler as a kid doing all that crazy stuff,..now I'm older not so much...Liked him in the film with Drew Barrymore when she lived she could only remember one day and when she slept she forgot the past day....so every day he had to then meet her as a stranger again...
      January 15, 2019 2:24 AM MST

Sorry, have no idea who is praised or who is not.  How would I know that?
      January 15, 2019 6:08 AM MST

• fun fact: i went to the same high school as adam sandler (obvs not at the same time), theres a framed picture of him (and other graduates) in the hallway out front of the main office 
      January 15, 2019 5:12 PM MST

• theres also a really popular local diner he visits and they have a burger named after him
      January 15, 2019 5:14 PM MST

Just found out that Pam Grier went to my high school, so that changes my previous answer! She's also underrated, so it's perfect for this list.
      October 20, 2019 6:40 PM MDT

that's cool, I think the most famous person who went to my high school is Calais Campbell, the football player, I was a freshmen when he was a senior. No actors though. Don Cheadle went to our rival high school, those a-holes had it all This post was edited by bigloseridiotman at June 23, 2019 5:49 PM MDT
      January 16, 2019 1:33 PM MST

Guy Pearce
      January 15, 2019 5:17 PM MST

Veronica Cartwright

June 23, 2019 5:47 PM MDT

I love her, her screams of terror at the end of invasion of the bodysnatchers is amazing 
      September 15, 2019 12:10 AM MDT

Agreed.

If I remember correctly, I believe I read that director Philip Kaufman purposely wanted Cartwright surprised at that moment -- she was not informed of what actor Donald Sutherland was going to do at that moment until they were filming the scene. And her reactions are sort of spur of the moment reaction on her part.

What I read was something along those lines.
      September 15, 2019 4:33 AM MDT

Haha directors like to surprise her a lot for reactions 
      September 15, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

Do they? I didn't know that!
    I only read about that scene.

Anything she's in  -she is so utterly believable and totally honest to me - -"Witches of Eastwick" - -she's THE best part of that movie for me
    'Lambert' in "Alien"
    'Invasion of the Body Snatchers," as you've mentioned
    'The Birds"

"The Children's Hour" - I was about the same age as Cartwirght appears to be in that movie when I first saw that movie  -- she was incredible to me; powerful movie for me

And she had a cameo in "Invasion" - another Body Snatchers movie - - her cameo - - arguably the most memorable scene for me

and some other movies, too
      September 15, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

I didn’t know she was in the birds!
      September 15, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

Yup!

Image result for Veronica cartwright the birdsImage result for the birds veronica cartwright This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 20, 2019 6:26 PM MDT
      September 15, 2019 8:55 PM MDT

omg she's the little girl, wow that blows my mind
      October 20, 2019 6:27 PM MDT

Yes!

I'm going to find another image from another movie in which she was young -- she blew me away in it - - "The Children's Hour" -- The first time I saw the movie, I was about the same age as she seemed to be. I was too young to have watched it -- i got pretty upset. Great movie.

Veronica is on the right - - Karen Balkin is on the left - - both are stunning to me in the movie.

Image result for veronica cartwright the children's hour This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 20, 2019 6:42 PM MDT
      October 20, 2019 6:33 PM MDT

• Joaquin Phoenix

September 15, 2019 9:09 PM MDT

idk if i'd call him underrated, i feel like he's pretty well known and respected. but if you're saying he's still underrated even with the praise he gets, I'll agree, because he is legit one of my favorite actors ever. I always liked him but "I'm Still Here" was when I realized I loved him. Have you seen "the Sisters Brothers"?
      October 20, 2019 6:32 PM MDT

I've not seen enough of his work.
      October 20, 2019 6:37 PM MDT

I've not seen enough of his work, like I said to bigloseridiotman.

October 20, 2019 6:37 PM MDT

What I meant by my other comment was that I enjoy his performances; I've just not seen very many of them and I'd probably like all of them, I bet.
      October 21, 2019 6:36 AM MDT